Brrrrrrrrrrrr!! That’s the sound of me shivering from the cold weather. As much as I dislike, no I actually HATE the winter time I can see some minor perks about this season, only slightly though because there’s nothing remotely cute about venturing out in sub zero temperatures.
I think I was a squirrel in my past life because the temptation to hibernate is simply irresistible.
Anyway, that’s enough of me rambling about the inevitable, it’s the same thing every year; spring, summer, autumn and winter, unless I move to a tropical country, if not, I have to accept what life throws at me.
What’s keeping my clinically sane right now is this little beauty above – Orange hot chocolate. Are you familiar with Terry’s chocolate orange? If so, that’s what this hot chocolate is the equivalent to.
The richness from the raw cacao truly compliments the zestiness of the orange. The longer the orange is left to seep the more intense the flavour becomes. Believe me when I tell you my friend – I came, I saw and I conquered this drink and now it’s time to share with you all.
I sweetened the hot chocolate with dates, date paste is suffice if you have that at hand and whizzed everything in the vitamix to begin with. The power speed from the blender lends a lovely frothy top, from there I transferred the liquid into a sauce pan with the orange rind and hey presto – the birth of orange hot chocolate – no dairy and enriched with a tangy fruit flavour.
Here’s to the winter, have a drink with me!
- 2 cups of almond milk
- ⅓ cup of dates, sweeten to taste
- ½ tsp of vanilla
- 1 tbsp.of raw cacao
- 1 tbsp. of freshly squeezed orange
- 3 strips of orange rind
- Combine the almond milk, dates, vanilla, cacao and whiz in a blender until smooth.
- Pour the liquid into a saucepan with the squeezed orange, rind and bring to the boil.
- Once boiled reduce to low heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove pan from the stove and allow the orange rind to infuse for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove rind and serve accordingly.