An epic high protein dairy free egg white omelette spin on the infamous philly cheese steak with thinly slices of seasoned beef, sauteed onions and vegan style cheese
I remember some years ago when myself and co went to the United States for the very first time. I was in my teenage years for my very first stateside trip and trust me it was an unforgettable experience. The food, the culture and overall lifstyle was a complete contrast to life in the UK.
It was almost as if America was 10 tens a head of the UK in terms of food and drink. One thing that stood out while I was on vacation was the portion sizes in the restaurants – they were humongous plus they had a system of constant buffet style eating (something that is not as popular on a grand scale over here).
Although I have never been to Philadelphia, I do vividly recall going to a food joint in Florida and ordering a Philly cheese steak. It was the name more than anything which I found appealing, nevertheless I devoured the entire thing and would gladly eat seconds.
In short this recipe is a protein loaded revamp of the Philly cheese steak sandwich only with the white eggs replacing the bread. My favourite vegan cheese by Violife plays a key role in achieving that gooey cheese as pictured along with the most tenderised slices of seasoned beef on the planet. I took the liberty of making a homemade steak seasoning rather then sandwiching bland meat into the omelette and I promise you will LOVE the flavour which impart from this omelette.
Why not start the day on a protein loaded note with this Philly style omelette, it’s so filling that this omelette should keep hunger at bay up to lunch time. Great for those who follow a high protein, low fat lifestyle – if you’re looking to build muscle mass then this recipe is for you.
Steak dry rub – 2 tbsp paprika, 2tbsp black pepper, 1 tbsp himalayan pink salt, 1 tbsp garlic granules/powder, 1 tbsp onion powder, 1tsbp coriander, 1tbsp chives, 1 tbsp, red pepper flakes
- 250g of thinly sliced steak pieces (washed and dried)
- 6-7 large egg whites, beaten with yolk discarded
- 1 small onion, sliced and halved
- ½ cup of kale, tightly packed
- ½ of mixed bell peppers, sliced
- 1-2 tbsp of steak dry rub (see post)
- ⅓ cup of vegan cheese
- **coconut oil
- On medium heat 2tbsp of coconut oil in a large non stick frying pan then proceed to sautee the onions until translucent and tender.
- Add the kale and bell peppers along with the steak pieces and sear the steak to your preference before removing the entire contents from the pan to set aside.
- On low to medium heat, pour the beaten egg whites into a pan, cook until the set starts to set, at the same time, carefully lift edge while tilting the pan to allow the under cooked egg to run under the set portion.
- Add the steak and veggies to one side of the omelette then top with vegan cheese.
- Use a egg spatula to sandwich the other side of the omelette so it looks like a crescent.
- Sever accordingly