Compact tropical mason jar salad with ginger lime dressing.
I’ve been seeing the latest buzz which is packing salads into a mason jar for quite some time now. I must admit that I too have jumped onto the bandwagon and absolutely love the idea of a vertical salad. I initially thought the idea was strange and meaningless but after trying this at home and on my travels I’m now convinced that mason jar salads are an excellent idea.
In case you’re wondering what on earth is a mason jar salad, no worries I will provide a brief explanation shortly. I also have a more in depth article about mason jars that I will be posting very soon. I feel that this article will yield further insight into the latest craze.
Due to how compact and handy mason jar salads are I truly think they are here to stay and not just another health fad. Essentially a mason jar salad is simply a traditional salad crammed into a glass jar with the lid screwed on. The general rule of thumb is to add your choice of dressing at the bottom the jar and then create layers, starting with the heavy, least absorbent ingredients towards the lower half of the jar and the lighter leafy ingredients at the very top.
The reason why the lighter ingredients i.e spinach, kale, lettuce and so fourth are added at the top is to prevent them from soaking up the dressing and to retain their crisp texture until it’s time to serve. Of course keeping the jar upright helps especially if you are carrying this to work or out and about.
You can also eat the salad directly from the jar using a fork, just make sure to shake everything before consumption.
This mason jar recipe is very simple to make and incredibly tasty too. I used a ginger lime dressing to form the base and added layers of pineapple, bell peppers, cucumbers, red kidney beans and lettuce. You can add more fruit or veg if you wish. The jar should be tightly packed to ensure a suffice amount of salad is packed away.
** Why not make in bulk, save time and the jars can be stored in the refrigerator for several days.
- 2 mason jars
- 1¼ cup of fresh pineapple, chopped into chunks
- 1 cup of mixed bell peppers, sliced
- 1 cup of cucumber, halved
- 1 cup of red kidney beans, cooked/drained from a can
- a handful of chopped lettuce
- For the ginger lime dressing
- For the dressing
- 1 tsp of dried thyme
- 1tsp of ginger, minced
- The juice of one lime
- ¼ tsp of garlic granules or one small garlic clove, crushed
- ⅛ tsp of sesame seed oil
- 2tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp of coconut palm sugar
- ⅛ tsp of coconut aminos
- Start by blitzing the ingredients for the ginger lime dressing in a blender.
- Pour an equal quantity into both mason jar.
- Proceed to form tights layers starting with the pineapple, then bell peppers, cucumbers, kidney beans and finally top with lettuce.
- Screw the lid on and serve by either shaking the jar and eating directly from it or pouring everything into a bowl.