Last Updated on
Apple cinnamon pancakes recipe – Gluten free pancakes made from oat flour and free range eggs with a delicious caramelised apple filling.
The early part of the week was hilarious, my household just couldn’t get enough of pancakes. In my house we seldom eat pancakes and there’s no reason as to why we don’t either – don’t mind us we’re just a strange bunch of people.
What inspired me to make apple cinnamon pancakes
Anyway, I recently discovered Jessica in the kitchen, who featured a flourless apple pie pancakes recipe on her website. Upon first impressions what I liked about the recipe was her ingenious method of using oats in place of conventional flour. Normally when I make pancakes like these apple cinnamon ones I make them with spelt flour, so seeing an alternative to flour was an offer I just couldn’t refuse.
How I made my apple cinnamon pancakes and adaptations
I loved the results – apple cinnamon pancakes which were soft, fluffy with a hint of spice for additional enhancement. Once I made the first batch which I forgot to say, were eaten within minutes. I followed up with several lots of batter on rotation, I soon resembled a one woman factory – flipping and pouring pancakes.
Shortly before making the final batch of apple cinnamon pancakes, I decided to tweak the original recipe by adding some coconut milk and changing the ratio of eggs, oats and creating a caramelised apple filling with date paste.
I soon tailored the formula to more thickish batter which was originally inspired by Jessica only with a few adaptations of my own.
I’ll add a link to some of the ingredients you’ll need for this recipePrint
Apple cinnamon pancakes recipe
Dairy free, gluten free
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- For the pancake batter (yields 6 approx)
- 1 cup of oat flour (use coffee grinder to mill the oats into flour)
- 2 large free range eggs
- 1/4tsp of nutmeg
- 1tsp of cinnamon
- 1tbsp of date paste
- 1 cup and 1/4 cup of coconut milk (see post for recipe)
- pinch of himalayan pink salt
- coconut oil for greasing the crepe pan
- Caramelizing the apples
- 3 apples, cored and peeled
- 2tbsp of homemade vegan butter (see post for recipe)
- 1/2tsp of nutmeg
- 2tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2tsp of coconut palm sugar
- 3 tbsp of date paste (see post for recipe)
- Place the oat flour into a large bowl, add the rest of the pancake batter ingredients excluding the coconut oil and whisk into a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Heat the crepe pan (or frying pan) on medium heat and coat the surface of the pan with oil.
- Ladle the batter onto the pan- swirling and rotating the pan to create a big circle.
- As the edges begin to brown, use an egg spatula to flip the pancake over, cook the other side
- repeat the process
- To make the filling, in a saucepan on low heat, melt the butter and coconut sugar until it dissolves and begins to bubble.
- Add the apples, spices and date paste to the saucepan and increase the heat to medium. As the apple begins to soften in the date paste, the extract should thicken up a little.
- Continue to sautee for 10 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Fill the panckes with the caramelised apple and fold over.