Baked plantain with a coconut cashew dip
Gluten free, paleo, vegan
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 2
- Category: Side dish
- Cuisine: Caribbean
- 1 ripe plantain, sliced
- 1tbsp of coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp of ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- For the Coconut cashew dip
- 1 cup of cashew nuts
- 1/3 cup of water
- 3 tbsp of shredded coconut
- 2tbsp of coconut oil
- 2tbsp of coconut nectar
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla extra or vanilla powder
- pinch of salt
- ** Try to use organic ingredients where possible.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celsius or gas mark 5
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Toss the sliced plantain into a large mixing bowl with the melted coconut oil, ginger and cinnamon. Work the oil and spices into the discs and coat them evenly.
- Transfer the contents onto the parchment paper and place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
- Half way through turnover and continue to bake until both sides are golden brown.
- To make the coconut dip pour all of the ingredients list above excluding the water into a food processor or high speed blender. Add a small amount of water at a time until the mixture is smooth if using pre-soaked cashews skip the water and go ahead with pureeing. A 1/3 cup should be suffice, if not, add a tbsp at time more until smooth.
Plantain and yellow banana are not the same thing.
Plantain cannot be eaten raw.