Last Updated on
Baked salmon with asparagus recipe – oven baked salmon fillets with asparagus spears and served with cubed sweet potatoes.
As you already know I’m a staunch proponent of quality control which means I take time to not only create the recipes from scratch but also test them a fair amount of times to ensure the taste is to a high standard. This is why I’m so pleased to share this baked salmon with asparagus dish with you all.
Anyway, with that out of the way salmon is high on the agenda, a favourite of mine albeit expensive. There are so many ways to cook salmon it’s unreal – bake, steam, grill, fry etc… I enjoy baking salmon as opposing to frying it as sometimes pan frying with copious amount of condiments gives off a heavy taste.
About this baked salmon with asparagus dish
This baked salmon recipe is quite light in terms of flavour, nothing to weigh down the salmon fillet. The asparagus and sweet potatoes are lightly coated in coconut oil to prevent them from being too dry.
Preparing the salmon fillet
I used a fork to carefully prick a few shallow holes into the salmon fillets. This will help the wet rub penetrate some what and as mentioned, coated the asparagus in coconut oil. You can bake them in a makeshift foil pouch or use foil sided baking paper, not the exclusively brown type as this will seep through the entire layer of paper.
Cooking the sweet potatoes separate from the salmon
Another thing to note is that the sweet potatoes were cubed and cooked in a separate baking pouch. The reason why I did this was to prevent the sweet potato from becoming too saturated in the asparagus and salmon oil.
- Baked salmon with asparagus is a quick meal to make from scratch, doesn’t require any overnight prep unless you feel the need to do so. Everything you need, condiment wise is stocked in your pantry
- Paleo friendly and free from gluten
- A good source of protein
- Low in carbohydrates which is great for a weightloss diet
Baked salmon with asparagus
paleo, gluten free, seafood
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Category: Main entree
- 2–3 salmon fillets
- 8 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut into small cubes
- For the wet rub
- 2–3tbsp of melted coconut oil
- 2tbsp of dill, chopped
- 2tsp of garlic powder/granules
- 2tsp of onion powder
- 2tsp of black pepper
- himalayan pink salt to taste
- some fresh dill (for topping)
- a slice of lime (for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celcius
- Cut 2-3 (depending on the amount of salmon used) foil or foil coated baking sheets into about 15 inch long.
- Cut an additional sheet to accommodate the sweet potatoes.
- In a bowl, add the salmon fillets and proceed to generously coat each fillet with the wet rub ingredients. Feel free to add more if required.
- Place the salmon pouches and divide the asparagus spears into each packet.
- Wrap each packet over the salmon and roll over each end so they enclose and seal completely.
- Follow the same principle with the cubed sweet potatoes, place in the pouch, wrap and seal the ends.
- Place everything on a large baking sheet and cook for roughly 25 minutes until everything is cooked through.
- Serve accordingly.