Caribbean callaloo soup
Caribbean callaloo soup – Vegan, gluten free, dairy free, paleo
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 mins
- Yield: 4
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Caribbean
- 6 cups of callaloo or spinach, tightly packed
- 1 1/2 cups of sweet potato, diced
- 1 1/2 cups of butternut squash, diced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 sprigs of thyme or 1/2 tbsp. of dried
- 1/4 of a scotch bonnet (not too much)
- 1 tsp of himalayan pink salt
- 1 large scallion (or 3 small ones) chopped
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- 4-5 okras, sliced
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- 2tbsp of coconut oil
- Start by heating the coconut oil a in large heavy based saucepan or casserole dish over medium heat.
- Now sauté the onion, scallion and garlic for 1 minute, until the onions are soft.
- Add the diced butternut, sweet potato, okra and scallions and fold in with the sautéed onions and garlic.
- Allow all of the veggies to sweat in to pan, while keeping a watchful eye so nothing burns – stirring frequently for 2-3 minutes
- Proceed to add the scotch bonnet, thyme, black pepper and salt, while stirring into the veggies.
- Tip the spinach/callaloo into the pan, the pan may seem overcrowded at first but the spinach will wilt and the remaining veggies will breakdown during simmering.
- Pour in the coconut milk followed by the vegetable stock and reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the pan with the lid and allow to simmer down into a thick stew for up to an hour, stir often to prevent sticking while it thickens.
- Once the desired thickness is present, use an immersion stick blender (discard stem if using fresh thyme) to partially liquidise into a more soup like texture.
- Serve accordingly.
Use spinach if dasheen or callaloo leaves are difficult to obtain
This recipe is suitable for home freezing.