Caribbean peanut punch recipe – A popular non alcoholic Island style beverage made from shelled peanuts, nutmeg, condensed and coconut milk.
You cannot visit the islands without sampling some Caribbean peanut punch, in fact it should be forbidden. In the same breath, you don’t have to buy a ticket to visit these wonderful islands because I can show you how to whip this up within minutes.
Peanut punch is a popular beverage amongst many Caribbean islands especially Jamaica, Trinidad and Guyana. The drink is regarded as a ‘man’s drink’ due to the over high energy levels it yields from the high protein and fat content.
As to whether there is any truth in the theory of giving a specific gender more stamina is debatable.
As far as I’m concern it’s a very tasty beverage that can be drunk by anyone. In fact, the high energy levels from the peanuts and coconut milk would benefit anyone who requires an extra energy boost i.e. fitness enthusiast or perhaps used as something to wake the body up.
Any complex carbohydrates that are present (namely from the vegan condensed milk) is slow released. This means you won’t experience an immediate crash and burn. Also, protein is noted for being quite filling (keep in mind protein is more of a building block than energy source) and digested at a much slower rate – definitely a bonus in humble opinion.
Let’s talk more about the drink at hand, well I’m sure you’ve already guessed that I’ve modified the recipe to make it additive free, low glycemic and dairy free.
While the store brought version tastes great, sadly it’s loaded with harsh chemicals and you guys already know my opinion about that, so why not make your own healthy version that’s good for the body and vegan too.
Each Caribbean island has their own formula, for instance, Trinidadians like to add glucose power, granola and bitters. Jamaicans on the other hand may add oats or a splash of alcohol.
These are options that you can incorporate to your recipe, but the foundation for the punch remains the same regardless of the island; Milk (coconut milk in this case), peanuts/peanut butter, vanilla, water and some spice.Print
Caribbean peanut punch (Dairy free)
Vegan, dairy free, gluten free,
- Prep Time: 2 mins
- Cook Time: 7 mins
- Total Time: 9 mins
- Category: Caribbean
- 1 cup of shelled skinless peanuts
- 11/4 cup of coconut milk (see post for recipe)
- 1/2 cup of dairy free condensed milk (see post for recipe)
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla powder (or extract)
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees or gas mark 4.
- Pour the peanuts on a lined baking tray and roast for roughly 5-7 minutes (you should be able to smell the aroma).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Place the peanuts, water and coconut milk in a blender and blend into the peanuts are ground.
- Pour into a cheesecloth and strain the peanut liquid, squeeze out the excess and discard the pulp.
- Stir in the condensed milk, vanilla and nutmeg.
- Serve accordingly.
Store in the refrigerator and consume within a few days.