Last Updated on
Cauliflower cheese sticks are such a great grain and gluten free alternative to making cheese sticks topped with dairy free cheese.
I had to share this cauliflower cheese sticks recipe with you guys, it’s one that has been sitting on the backburner for some time. I had to do my usual revision and adaptations prior to sharing the final recipe with you guys.
Embrace yourself for this low carb cheesy recipe that’s suitable for almost paleo, gluten free and dairy free lifestyle
What are cauliflower cheese sticks?
Cauliflower cheese sticks are an ingenious way to make pseudo breadsticks stacked with cheese (dairy free of course) from pulsed cauliflower.
Yes I know the conventional bread probably tastes a lot nicer but hear me out okay. If you suffer from allergies or want to escape processed flour/bread then you’ll love me 10 times over for this type of recipe.
Preparing cauliflower cheese sticks
I’m sure you’re heard about cauliflower rice, if not, it’s essentially cauliflower that has been shredded finely into what looks like rice grains. The paleo crew seem to enjoy this the most since their lifestyle principles omit grains, it’s also perfect if you suffer from terrible bloating.
Use a food processor – To make the cauliflower rice, you can do this in a food processor for ease. Just cut the head of the cauliflower into small florets so they can fit into the food processor then pulse until all the pieces have been evenly pulverised
Steam the cauliflower – The next step is to soften the “rice” through steaming, using a non-stick saucepan. Some people like to choose the quick route and microwave the “rice”. I personally don’t like microwaving my food where possible because it destroys the texture of the food – steaming it on the cooker gives one more control over the texture.
Add your condiments – I used dairy free cheese along with some typical Italian style herbs – oregano, basil, thyme almost like a pizza really, then spread the “rice” on a lined baking tray with parchment paper.
the base first of all before loaded the top with dairy free cheese.
Dairy free cheese doesn’t quite melt like Mozzarella, it takes the fun out of stretching the cheese like you see in those pizza commercial *sad face* BUT……health is more important.
How can I make this recipe so it’s not just paleo, gluten and dairy free but vegan too?
Some vegans use flax eggs to bind the base together
I would recommend flipping over the base half way through cooking so it’s not soggy as it cools down, baking the base on both sides yield that perfect crust for the cheese.
Cauliflower cheese sticks (dairy free)
Tasty cheese sticks made from cauliflower – Paleo, gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Category: Appetiser
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 2 eggs, free range
- 21/2 cups of dairy free cheese
- 3 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1 tbsp garlic granules
- 1/4 tsp himalayan pink salt
- Preheat oven to 400f/200C/gas mark 6.
- Prepare a rectangular baking tray (about 36cm) with parchment paper.
- Roughly chop the cauliflower into small florets. Then add the florets to the food processor fitted with an S blade and pulse until the cauliflower resembles rice.
- Place the cauliflower rice in a non stick medium sized saucepan. Begin to steam the rice on low-medium heat for 5-7 minutes, covered. Throughout this time carefully manoeuvre the rice so it softens evenly.
- Once steamed transfer the cauliflower in a large bowl adding the eggs, 1/2 cup of cheese, herbs, garlic, salt. Ensure everything is thoroughly combined.
- Spread the herbaceous base on to the parchment paper and shape it into a rectangular crust.
- Bake the crust for about 30 minutes or until golden. Half way through cooking the base, carefully flip the crust over so both sides are evenly cooked/golden.
- Once golden, sprinkle with the leftover dairy free cheese and put back in the oven for a further 5-7 minutes until the cheese looks somewhat melted.
- Slice and serve accordingly.