Chocolate almond butter protein balls – are a great for individual who are seeking energy snacks that are high in protein and paleo friendly too.
I’m sure at some point while purchasing your groceries, you’ve probably seen different variations of these bitesize treats. Once confide to the health stores only, energy/protein balls are literally everywhere which is makes them incredibly accessible and duly noted. Prior to blogging I would purchase these whenever I was given the opportunity to do, not in excess, more or less to replenish my supply.
Energy balls consist of a mixture of macro-nutrients – fats, carbohydrates and protein. The ratio varies accordingly to an individuals needs. For instance a long distance runner would consume a energy ball/bar with a higher ratio of carbohydrates to release as glucose (sugar) into the bloodstream which yields as cellular energy, this in turn aids a longer performance.
On the other hand, a protein based energy ball/bar in contract to the carbohydrate loaded balls, contains a higher percentage of fats/protein. You’ll found body builders or individuals who are either consuming a high protein diet or building lean muscle have a tendency to gravitate towards the latter snack.
While I’m a advocate for all things health related, upon further scrutiny the vast majority of these store brought balls/bars are nothing more than a large quantity of processed ingredients with very little nutritional value with cheapens the notion of healthy eating. During my time of purchasing energy/proteim balls I would usually purchase the raw kind – high nutritional constant with a small number of unadulterated ingredients.
I dealt with my frustration by creating my own balls – its fun and the list of added ingredients are as few or as many as you like – Nuts, fruit, seeds, grains, butters, cacao etc… you name it!
These chocolate almond butter protein balls are loaded with almonds which create the foundation, raw cacao making them dairy free, ground flaxseed, coconut nectar, raisins and almond butter. They are loaded with a generous source of fats and protein from the flaxseed, almond butter and almonds making them more ideal for people who seek a clean, lean post strength resistance training.
You don’t have to partake in the exercise to eat these, bring them to work with you as a healthy snack or simply eat them on the go. They’re quick and so easy to make – no fuss simply pulse in the food processor and mold into shape.
Go on! You know you want to make these chocolate almond butter protein balls.Print
Chocolate almond butter protein balls
Paleo, gluten free, raw
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Category: Energy snacks
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1 tbsp of coconut nectar (or other low GI Sweetener)
- 2 tbsp of almond butter
- 2tbsp of coconut oil
- **splash of water if too crumbly/dry
- ** Sesame seeds for rolling
- Fit a food processor with an S blade and add the raisins and almonds.
- Pulse into a fine/semi coarse meal, the texture doesn’t need to be extremely fine, break down the large pieces, scrape any excess from the side of the food processor and continue to pulse.
- While the food processor is running add the remaining ingredients.
- The mixture should congeal into a large ball, if the mixture is still dry/crumbly add a few tablespoons of water to make it more pliable. Even if the mixture doesn’t form into a giant ball, that’s fine so long as it’s soft and ready to roll into smaller balls.
- Shape into small bitesize balls and roll into the sesame seeds.
- Allow the balls to become firm by storing in the refrigerator.
Eat within 3 days of preparation.