Start the day with these delicious buckwheat pancakes – Gluten free, dairy free
- Prep Time: 8 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 13 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- 1 cup of buckwheat flour + 3/4 cup of brown rice flour
- 1 1/4 cup of almond milk + 1 tbsp of lemon
- 1 large egg (free rage, if possible)
- 1 tbsp. of coconut palm sugar
- 1tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/4tsp of Himalayan pink salt
- 1tsp of baking powder (aluminium & gluten free)
- Coconut oil or dairy free butter for frying the pancakes
For the apple and cinnamon topping
- 2 apples
- 2 tbsp of dairy free butter
- 2 tbsp of coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of coconut nectar (can use maple, agave or other low GI sweetener)
- In a medium sized bowl add both flours, coconut sugar, baking soda, powder and pink salt
- In a separate bowl mix the almond milk with 1 tbsp of lemon, it will start to curd. Leave to rest for for 5 minutes.
- Once the milk has curdled crack the egg and beat with the milk and vanilla
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry bowl and whisk by hand until the batter is smooth.
- Preheat the pan on low to medium heat and add a splash of coconut oil or butter and rotate around.
- Ladle the amount of pancake batter desired onto the pan and allow to cook until golden brown.
- Flip over the pancake and brown the other side.
- Repeat the previous step with the remaining batter.
- Prepare the topping by peeling and coring the apples.
- Once peeled and cored, chop the apple into small pieces to stop the apples from discolouring add the apple to a bowl of warm water with 1 tsp of pink salt as you chop each apple.
- Rinse off the apple (if let to rest in salt water).
- Melt butter on medium heat then add the coconut sugar and stir until it dissolves.
- Once the butter has dissolved as the apples and caramelise for 10 minutes.
- Around 7 minutes into cooking add the cinnamon and syrup and cook for a further 3 minutes
- Serve with the pancakes