Jamaican cornmeal porridge
Delicious Jamaican cornmeal porridge made free from dairy – Vegan, Vegetarian, gluten free
- Prep Time: 2 mins
- Cook Time: 18 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Caribbean
- 1/2 cup of organic cornmeal (preferably non GMO)
- 1 cup of water
- 3 cups of coconut milk
- 1/3 of coconut condensed milk (see link above)
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp of himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 tsp of vanilla powder (or 1tsp of vanilla extract)
- Mix the cornmeal with water and set aside.
- Pour the 3 cups of coconut milk into a sauce pan and simmer for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
- Once the milk starts to boil, add the cornmeal mixture to the pot. Do this slowly and make sure to turn consistency to omit lumps – continue to stir until all the watery cornmeal has gone.
- Add the spices, pink salt, vanilla and condensed milk.
- Reduce the flame to low, cover the pot and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring the porridge occasionally until the porridge is smooth and creamy.
- Serve accordingly
Ensure to stir cornmeal in the initial stages and throughout to omit lumps forming.
Cornmeal is sometimes sold as polenta or maize meal.