Fish seasoning – Learn how to make your very own homemade fish seasoning from scratch using common pantry staple ingredients for all of your culinary needs.
Having grown up in a Caribbean household where cooking played a vital role in my life. When it came to seasoning my mother and grandmother would often purchase whatever seasoning that was required for every recipe. Now that I’m a passionate food blogger, I enjoy making my very own seasoning from scratch.
This tutorial on how to make fish seasoning was actually inspired by my Jamaican steamed fish recipe. Where I included the every same seasoning mix that I’ve made here.
The benefits of making your own fish seasoning
There are so many reasons why you should make your own spice blends from scratch.
- It’s more cost effective in the long run to make your own spice blends.
- It’s fun – you can be as creative as you want with them.
- You can tailor each spice blend, depending on the recipe to hand.
- There’s an element of control over what herb/spice goes into each blend
- Homemade spice blends make the perfect gift!
- They are a lot healthier with no E numbers or additives and/or preservatives.
How to make your own fish seasoning from scratch
Having had this discussion with several random people. I have come to the conclusion that many people are intimated by making their own spice blend from scratch which is totally understandable. Trust me, I have done my fair share of boo boos and really hit rock bottom with some of my ”epic” spice blends. The good news is I’m here to help, this spice blend has been tested over and over again prior to blog submission.
All you need to do is follow these simple steps and enjoy the benefits.
What you will need
I do recommend using a coffee grinder to pulverize each herb/spice that is listed. This isn’t absolutely crucial but you will notice a huge difference in terms of taste when the spice blend is milled in a grinder verses being simply mixed together. Alternatively, you can use a dry container of a vitamix or pestle and mortar to achieve the same results.
What are the ingredients that I will need to make the fish seasoning?
- celery salt
- black pepper
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- himayalan pink salt
All of the above can be purchased from your local supermarket. I find that ethnic stores i.e Asian supermarkets tend to sell the above herbs and spice in bulk for a reasonable price.
Which recipes are best to use this fish seasoning?
- Double or triple the ingredients listed to make a big batch
- Store the spice blend in a glass jar in cool place i.e pantry
- Spice blends have a long shelf life so can be stored for at least several months.
Learn how to make your very own fish seasoning from scratch
Add all of the ingredients to a coffee grinder and mill into a fine consistency.
Store the spice blend in a clear glass jar in a cool place for several months and use accordingly.