Last Updated on
Easy homemade granola – breakfast couldn’t be any healthier with this nutritious granola made from scratch that’s sweetened with applesauce.
Here it is everyone *smiles* I finally managed to make a batch of some easy homemade granola
This isn’t like the ordinary granola, it’s free from additives and sweetened with applesauce how awesome is that? I thought so…. I’ve been studying how to perfect how granola game for quite some time now.
Since I am a self-confessed perfectionist, you won’t find me jumping into things head first. I have to do a few rounds of trial and error to tweak things to my liking. Granola wouldn’t be perfected without adding my signature style – the theme being healthy.
This easy homemade granola is better than the storebrought kind
The commercialised granola tends to be saturated with refined sugars, honey, oils, and fats which compromise the nutritional content. I find this to be most disappointing to say the least, which led me to seek out an alternative that is healthy, lightly sweetened with crispy oats.
The best part about making granola is how creative you can become, once you lay down the base of the recipe (old fashioned oats).
What additional ingredients can I add to this easy homemade granola?
You can be as innovative as possible using any of the following
- Pumpkin seeds
- Hemp hearts
- Apricot kernels
- Brasil nuts
- Dried fruit etc…
Adding some applesauce to sweeten your granola
You won’t find the recipe overly sweet like the store brands, so don’t expect a complete replica, the keyword is HEALTHY.
This homemade granola is……..
- Gluten free
- Absolutely fun to make especially with children
subtle with a low glycemic index with an abundance of nuts, dried fruit and old fashioned oats. Light weight and perfect to eat for breakfast or a snack – a popular food amongst westerners.
More gluten free breakfast recipes
- Roasted almond porridge
- Cardamom mango waffles
- Almond butter chocolate oatmeal
- Creamy apple coconut oatmeal
Easy homemade granola
Delicious and easy homemade granola – Low sugar, dairy free, vegan
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Category: Breakfast
- 3 1/2 cup of old fashioned gluten free oats
- 1 cup of mixed nuts/seeds (I chose Apricot kernels, almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds)
- 1/8 tsp of himalayan pink salt
- 1/4 cup of hemp hearts
- 1 cup of shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp of flaxseeds (ground or whole)
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- 2 tbsp of coconut nectar (or maple syrup)
- 2 tbsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of ginger
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 cup of apple sauce (see my recipe)
- Dried fruit
- 1 cup of mixed dried fruit cranberries, raisins
- **fresh banana for topping
- Preheat oven 350 degree (Gas mark 4)
- In a large bowl, mix the oats, seeds, nuts and other dry ingredients (excluding the dried fruit) together
- Fold in the applesauce, coconut nectar and oil, mix until everything is saturated.
- Spread out on parchment paper and cook in the oven for 45 minutes, turning every 10 – 15 minutes.
- Once cooked remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Add the dried fruit and store in airtight container – should last for a few weeks.
** Cook for longer than 45 minutes to increase darkening
** 1 cup of applesauce is suffice for subtle sweetness, can add more sweetness if desired