Jamaican hot pepper shrimp
- Prep Time: 2 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 13 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Yield: 4
- Category: Side dish
- Cuisine: Caribbean
- 1 lb of raw shrimp with shell
- 3 red scotch bonnet, finely chopped
- 1/2tbsp of onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp of garlic granules (or powder)
- 1-2tsp of himalayan pink salt
- 1/2tsp of black pepper
- 1tbsp of sweet paprika
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4tsp of allspice
- 1/2tbsp of thyme (optional)
- fresh lime to clean the shrimp
- 1tsp of old bay seasoning (optional)
- 1/4 cup of warm water
- Squeeze and rub the juice of a lime over the shrimp and rinse with water.
- Use a toothpick to tease out the intestinal tract from the tail end of the shrimp and discard. Also remove the antennae and legs (optional) if you wish.
- Coat and rub the entire ingredients into the shrimp and leave to infuse for an hour.
- Preheat the dutch pot with 1-2tbsp of coconut oil on medium heat.
- Using a slotted spoon lower the shrimp into the pot and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the 1/4 cup of warm water, cover lid and leave to gently steam for 10 minutes. The shrimp be pink and ready to eat – the sauce of the shrimp should thicken as it cools.
- Once ready serve immediately to prevent change in texture of shrimp from reheating.
- Calories: 170
- Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 29g