Cardamom mango waffles – These gluten free waffles are made with buckwheat flour with a hint of cardamom, so simple to prepare.
I am so glad to see the back of winter, really I am. I’ve said this a million times that I HATE with a passion COLD weather. I’m always tired and moody, though you guys would never know that because food bloggers are suppose to be that beckon of light, that ray of culinary positivity. We are human and go through our fair share of down days. During that season, everyday felt like a “down day” to the point where my internal organ were about to harden.
Anyway, moving on from my ex winter blues rant, spring is here …..YIPEE and with that comes warmer weather, beautiful botanical gardens and light food like salads, smoothies and popsicles – you know all of those exciting foods. Not only are the aforementioned foods exciting, you already know Charla will be keeping things strictly healthy too.
Today I thought I should share another incredibly tasty breakfast – cardamom mango waffles. I love pairing mango with cardamom because of how strong and aromatic cardamom is in taste. The sweetness from the plump mango just seems to of set the bold favours. This cardamom infused black rice pudding is a fine example of what I’m referring to.
How to make cardamom mango waffles
I added the cardamom to the waffle batter mix, you don’t need a large quantity of either. Simply use 1/4 teaspoon because a little goes along way and the potency is so pronounced.
The choice of flour for the waffles is a favourite of mine – buckwheat (non gluten, related to the rhubarb family). I’m a huge fan of buckwheat flour for making pancakes and waffles because the density is relatively thick and doesn’t require any additional flours for texture.
Topping for cardamom mango waffles
Feel free to add any additional fruit that you like.
Cherries, apples, peaches, strawberries, pear etc..
I included some bananas for potassium overload, you can add them too – your choice!!Print
Cardamom mango waffles
Gluten free cardamom mango waffles – Gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- 1 cup of buckwheat flour
- 1 large egg (free range)
- 3/4 cup of coconut milk (nut milk of your choice)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 tsp of cardamom
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract (or powder)
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- Mango, bananas and coconut nectar – topping
- Pre-heat waffle iron as per instructions
- Combine all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix well.
- Prepare a medium sized bowl, crack the egg and pour in the nut milk, coconut oil and vanilla.
- Proceed to whisk the wet ingredients.
- Carefully pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until blended and lumps has expelled.
- Ladle the batter onto the preheated waffle iron and cook until golden brown. Repeat this step until the batter is used in its entirety.
- Serve with topping and drizzle of coconut nectar (or sweetener of your choice)