Last Updated on
Mango coconut rice recipe – brown rice cooked in coconut milk with chunks of mango pieces and lightly seasoned with cardamom spice.
I never thought in a million years that mango and coconut would compliment each other, That is why I am so excited to share this mango coconut rice. Really I am quite surprised by my findings, and it seems like I am learning something new each day. Don’t think of a minute that I am complaining, rather far from it.
When you’re a hardcore foodie it’s your duty to do plenty of trial and error, if I didn’t then I wouldn’t have the ability to share so many recipes with my readers. How it works is I am the guinea pig and you simply follow the recipe to a tee to replicate the same results…..easy!
How the recipe came about……….
Now let me explain how I managed to create such a wonderful rice bowl. I was making a batch of Cuban mojo chicken, something I normally do with black beans and rice, then I thought to myself, let’s change the status quo and pair the chicken with something different.
I thought rice, you know a nice balance of slow releasing carbohydrates would go nicely with some lean protein (chicken) and then I thought about sweet potato mash, only I eat potatoes with plenty of my meals, so ruled it out straight away.
My mind went into overdrive as I started to consider a few ways to “jazz up” the rice without making it unhealthy or too complex for my readers.
I thought to myself “wouldn’t it be nice to make some rice with a splash of coconut milk and combined with a few pieces of fruit”.
My initial thoughts turned to papaya but the groceries charged way too much. Then I looked in my freezer and found a huge bag of mango chunks and bam!! mango coconut rice happened.
How to make mango coconut rice – cooking tips
Add the mango towards the end of cooking time – Now I must advise you beforehand to add the mango chunks towards the end of the cooking progress as this will prevent them from breaking up in the rice. I know rice can be quite intimidating to cook especially brown rice which contains the whole hull taking longer to cook/soften.
Total cooking time of the brown rice is…….
The brown rice took a total of 45 minutes to cook with the saucepan fully covered.
Use full fat coconut milk – I would suggest using a can of full fat coconut milk and not use my homemade recipe as this is more concentrated then what I whip up.
Adding water to your rice – Also when you add the water, only add the recommended amount (see recipe). If you need to add anymore liquid do this in increments, a 1/4 cup at a time should suffice, though I highly doubt you will need to replenish the rice with water. The coconut milk does a fantastic job with softening the rice hull.
- If you are non vegan you serve this Cuban mojo chicken (see link in post)
- Veggies and legumes for a vegan option
- This recipe is gluten free
Mango coconut rice
Mango coconut rice – gluten free, dairy free
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Category: Appetiser
- 1 cup of brown rice (washed)
- 1 cup of mango chunks
- 1/4 tsp of cardamom (optional)
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup of water (use sparingly)
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1 tsp of himalayan pink salt
- In a saucepan, heat oil on medium-high heat.
- Add the rice and proceed to coat the rice in the melted coconut oil and stir.
- Pour in the can of full fat coconut milk and add the cardamom and pink salt. Give everything a quick stir so everything is thoroughly combined.
- Now add the water, start by using only half a cup at first then bring the pan to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover pot and allow to simmer for 45 minutes (approx)
- Throughout the stated time frame, keep an eye on the texture of the rice, it shouldn’t be too soft nor too hard. If the liquid is evaporating and the rice is still hard use the remainder of the water. Check the rice periodically as it can burn/stick quite quickly. Don’t forget to use a fork to check the rice. It should be nice and fluffy.
- Once cooked remove the pot from the stove, mix in the mango and serve accordingly.