Papaya pancakes (Gluten free)
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Caribbean
- 1 cup of sorghum flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp of coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup of coconut milk
- 1 tsp of baking powder (gluten/aluminium free)
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda (gluten/aluminium free)
- 1/8 tsp of himalayan pink salt
- Papaya syrup
- 1 ripe papaya, halved, peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 2tbsp of coconut oil
- 3tbsp of coconut nectar (or other GI liquid sweetener)
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 allspice berries (pimento)
- 1 (approx 3 inch) cinnamon stick
- 4 tbsp of warm water
- Melt the coconut oil on medium heat in a saucepan then add the coconut nectar. Mix the oil and liquid sweetener together for one minute.
- Temper the spices (cloves, allspice and cinnamon) in the syrup mixture for a further 30 seconds then quickly add the papaya.
- Coat the papaya in the syrup then pour in the warm water ready to steam.
- Cover the pan with the lid and steam for 5-8 minutes – the papaya should be tender to the touch. Feel free to mash some of the papaya pieces to thicken the syrup some more.
- To make the pancakes ,put all of the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- In another bowl whisk the egg briskly until fluffy.
- Make a well into the centre of the bowl with the flours and pour in the egg followed by half of the noted coconut milk.
- Start whisking from the centre of the bowl, gradually drawing in the flour.and the remainder of the milk.
- Whisk until the batter has reached a smooth consistency (rid of any lumps).
- Heat a crepe or frying pan (medium heat) with a dollop of coconut oil and ladle some batter into the pan.
- Tilt the pan everso slightly to create an even thickness and size.
- Cook the first side until golden brown – should take 30-40 seconds, check readiness with egg spatula. When done flip over and cook the other side until golden,
- Repeat step 11 and 12 adding a dollop of coconut oil each time.
- Once finished serve with the papaya pieces on top.