Vegan asparagus soup – this dairy free cream of asparagus soup is prepared with fresh asparagus spears, coconut milk, vegetable and seasoning.
With winter still being in full effect, it’s time to pull out a few more soup recipes. If you have been following my blog for a number of years, then you would know that during the cold snap, I love nothing more than to cosy up to a bowl of hot soup.
On the blog you will find a selection of soups to test out for yourself. My favourite has to be roasted red pepper and tomato soup and for that Caribbean touch, nothing beats some Jamaican gungo peas soup . While the aforementioned soup might be adored by me, there’s always room for one more.
Last month while I was browsing through a few cookbooks for some new ideas, I came across vegan asparagus soup. Perhaps I’m the most boring person on the planet because when it comes to asparagus I usually prepare them using the same old cooking method so prepping them for a soup dish was a new adventure for me.
Although my recipe is vegan friendly you don’t have to lead a plant based lifestyle in order to embrace this dish. It’s so simple to pull together and incredibly tasty low fat comfort food.
The most important step for this recipe is to use the asparagus spears (heads) only and discard the woody ends as they will distort the taste.
You may notice that this soup has a rather deep green hue to it and that is because of the additional handful (or two) of spinach. Spinach is a vitamin enriched superfood that’s loaded with vitamin b and k – both are essential for the healthy red blood cell formulation.
Not only does this soup has an aesthetic edge to it BUT……the health properties are well worth giving it a try.
Bring some in a flask to work with you or simply drink with some gluten free rustic bread. Whatever the case, be sure to make this recipe.Print
Vegan asparagus soup recipe
Paleo, gluten free, vegan, dairy free
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Category: Soup
- 400g of asparagus (spears trimmed and woody ends discarded)
- 300 ml of vegetable stock
- 1 small onion, chopped
- A handful of spinach
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme – stemmed removed
- 1/2 a cup of coconut milk
- 2 garlic cloves, cropped
- 3tbsp of dairy free butter
- a dash of white pepper
- On low heat, melt the dairy free butter in a medium sized saucepan.
- Saute the garlic and onions until translucent and then proceed to add the asparagus spears and spinach – allow the spears and spinach to soften for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and coconut milk then bring to the boil.
- Season with pepper and fresh thyme before reducing the heat to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the soup contents into a blender and puree into a extra smooth texture.
- Drizzle with dairy free cream and serve