Last Updated on
Vegan chickpea curry recipe – a tasty legume based vegan style curry made with high protein chickpeas and sweet potatoes.
Who doesn’t love a good ole one pot chickpea curry? I know I do! More importantly who enjoys nothing more than a slow cooked easy vegan chickpea curry. This spice infused low fat curry is true gluten free vegan heaven especially with the additional use of sweet potatoes creating a uber filling family meal.
There’s no such thing as a “curry” per say
Although the word curry in English means a dish that is prepared with an array of complex spices, in Southern Asian region, curry doesn’t really have a true meaning.
With that being said, because the word “curry” is very popular in the British vocabulary, I too have somewhat embraced the word and use it to my leisure, though being acutely aware of its non existence to the South Asian population.
Here in you UK you will find a large quantity of “curry houses” – a word used to describe take away style Indian cuisine. I’ve visited a few and the taste/flavours always seem to blow me away, almost to the point where I made a pledge to myself to try my hand at Indian style recipes.
Plant based vegan chickpea curry is the real deal!
When it comes to curries granted I love chicken dishes but second in line has to be my favourite plant based protein – chickpeas. Let me introduce this hearty chickpea curry. One that isn’t too complex and very VERY VERY tasty might I add.
Finding that herbaceous balance to make an amazing curry
When cooking with a number of herbs and spices, the key to success is to find that balance of herbs/spices that are complimentary in taste – use too much and the results can be an overpowering taste of curry and the use of too little makes the dish bland.
In short, this is why balance is essential and the key to this award winning one pot chickpea curry
How to make vegan chickpea curry
Luckily for you, my lovely readers I have completed all aspects of trial and error. All you need to do now is grab what is listed and follow the instructions.
Yellow curry paste – The curry paste is made by using my Jamaican curry powder and water mixed together.
The base ingredients such as the paprika, cumin, coriander, tomato, onion and pepper are added first. This helps to deepen the flavour as it cooks down,
Cooked chickpeas – I used cooked chickpeas to make this recipe because the recipe comes together quicker
A couple of things I want to bring to your attention;
- Add the sweet potato cubes last – I find that adding them too early results in an over saturated texture
- Add the tapioca flour/water mixture to the curry to aid thickening. This is an optional step
How many calories in chickpea curry?
The answer is a total of 240 calories
Can I make this recipe in a slow cooker or instant pot and/or pressure cooker
Slow cooker – Saute the onion and garlic first, then add all of the other ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours.
Only a few changes to the slow cooker version of the recipe which is add the tapioca/water mix 30 minutes prior to serving
Instant pot version – cook the onion/garlic using the saute option, add the rest of the ingredients, switch valve to seal.
Manually cook for 20 minutes, switch valve to vent the air, wait 5 minutes and remove the lid
You will love vegan chickpea curry because……….
- Vegan chickpea curry is so filling and ready in a matter of 30 minutes.
- It’s a healthy chickpea curry that is made from scratch
- Bring some to work in a sandwich box
- It’s a chickpea curry without coconut milk
- You can surprise your meat eating guests to a vegan inspired meal.
- Contains a moderate dose of complex carbohydrates and lean protein.
Additional things to add to your curry…….
- You can quite easily turn this recipe into a chickpea spinach curry by adding some spinach leave
- Cauliflower rice (low carb option)
- Brown rice
- Coconut milk in place of water (for a full fat version)
Wondering which curries are vegan? Try these!!
- Curried jackfruit
- Caribbean pumpkin curry
- Plantain and cho cho curry (chayote stir fry)
- pigeon pea coconut curry
- Black eyed peas curry
Watch the video!!!
How to make vegan chickpea curry (step by step with pictures)
Add the coconut oil to the frying pan and proceed to cook the curry powder, then add the cumin, paprika and then saute the onions and garlic.
Add the coriander, black pepper, pink salt and chilli. Then stir in the chickpeas, tomato and okra until soft.
Finally add the water, tapioca mix and water to the frying pan then simmer for 15-20minutes
Vegan chickpea curry
Learn how to make this simple yet tasty vegan chickpea curry using just one pot. A true family favourite – Gluten free, Dairy free, Vegan
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main entree
- 1 tin of chickpeas, drained
- 1 medium sized sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 5 fingers of okra, sliced
- 1 tbsp of curry powder mixed into a paste with 2tbsp of water
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp of coriander
- 1tsp black pepper
- 1teaspoon of cumin
- 1/4 tsp of chilli powder
- 1/4 cup of tomato or paste
- 1/2teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 cups of water
- 1tbsp of tapioca flour mixed with 2tbsp of water (optional)
- 2tbsp pf coconut oil
- Melt the coconut oil in a large pan on low-medium heat and proceed to add the curry paste and stir frequently
- Now add the cumin and paprika, all the while stirring. As the curry mixture begins to reduce a little, add the onion, garlic, pepper, coriander and sautee until the onions have softened.
- Once the onions have softened, now is a good time to stir in tomato paste and fold in the chickpeas, okra and sweet potato.
- Pour the water and tapioca mix into the pan and season with salt (according to taste).
- Bring the pan to the boil and allow to simmer down (with pot covered)
- Cook the curry for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are soft. During this time you will notice the sauce should have thicken and spicy flavours more concentrated. Keep an eye on the level of liquid in the pan, if the liquid level drastically drops add 1/2 – 1 cup of water.
- Serve accordingly.
- Calories: 240
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 7g