Vegan chocolate orange cake
vegan, dairy free, gluten free
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 cup of teff flour
- 1/2 cup of tapioca flour
- 1/2 brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup of cacao powder
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 2 large bananas
- 1 tbsp of orange zest
- 1/2 cup of coconut sugar
- 1/2 coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 almond milk
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp of himalayan pink salt
- To make the ganache
- 200g of dairy free chocolate (two large bars)
- 2 tbsp coconut nectar
- 1 tbsp of orange zest
- coconut solids, scooped out from can of coconut milk, discard clear liquid
- garnish with almond flakes
- Break the chocolate bars into pieces and add to a heatproof bowl with the orange zest, coconut nectar.
- Bring the coconut solids to a boil then pour over the pieces of chocolate and allow to melt. If the coconut solids cools down before it melts, simply set the bowl over simmering water for it to melt in its entirety, then leave to cool before transferring to the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees.
- Line and grease a 9” spring form pan with parchment paper so the side and bottom are covered and set side.
- In a bowl, sieve the teff, rice brown, tapioca four and cacao.
- Then add the baking powder, baking soda, zest, pink salt and coconut sugar and stir all of the ingredients together.
- In another bowl mash the bananas then pour in the almond milk, melted coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Using an electric mixer (I used my hand held one) slowly add the flour blend to the wet ingredients until all the flour is incorporated.
- Continue to whisk all of the ingredients until a thick batter is formed.
- Transfer the cake batter into the spring form pan and use a spatula to even the top.
- Bake the cake for approximately 40 minutes or until a skewer or tooth pick comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove the pan from the oven and using oven gloves, release and lift the cake from the spring form pan.
- Transfer the cake onto a cooling rack so it cools with out bottom of pan still attached.
- Let the cake completely cool before adding the ganache.
- Use a spatula to evenly spread a layer of the ganache over the top and sides of the cake. Repeat this step if a thicker frosting is desired.
- Garnish with almond flakes.
- Serve with dairy free cream
Can freeze the day on the same day or eat within 5 days.