Air fryer zucchini fries
Delicious air fryer zucchini fries - GF , dairy free and vegan
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 2 servings
- 3 zucchini's courgettes
- 3/4 cup of GF breadcrumbs 110g
- 1/4 cup of vegan cheese 45g
- 1/2 cup of almond milk 150ml
- 1/2 tbsp of mixed herbs
- 1/2 tsp of garlic granules
- 1/2 tsp of onion powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp of himalayan pink salt
Preheat air fryer 200c/400f
Use a pairing knife to chop both ends off the zucchini and peel them.
Cut each zucchini into fries depending on the thickness you want 1/2 inch or 1/8 for thin strips
Place in a medium sized bowl or on a plate and sprinkle with 1 tsp pink salt and allow the fries to expel any moisture for 5 minutes then rinse off in a colander and blot dry -- these 3 steps are optional!!
Grate the vegan cheese as fine as you can then place in a mill/spice/coffee grinder with 2 tablespoons of breadcrumb/almond meal.
Ground the cheese and crumbs/meal into a powdery/fine consistency.
Make an assembly line with the zucchini first followed by the almond milk in a shallow bowl
Next to that, place the cheesy mixture combined with the rest of the breadcrumbs and mixed herbs, garlic, onion, black and pink salt all in one bowl mixed together.
On the end have the air fryer basket and spray the basket with some oil.
Grab the fries (one by one) dip them in the milk so it's completely saturated and then roll it in the breading. I like to use a spoon to toss/bury the zucchini in the breading to ensure it sticks.
Carefully (use fingers or even a spoon) pick up the fries and place them in the basket and repeat.
Spray the zucchini fries a final time from a height as to not dislodge the coating.
Cook for 8-12 minutes, depending on the thickness, keep a watchful eye out for readiness around 8 minutes and work from there. They should be golden and crispy on the outside.
- The cooking time does vary depending on the model of the fryer and thickness of the fries. Do keep an eye on them around the stated cooking time to avoid burning/undercooked thick fries.
- You can shake the basket a few times to expedite results
- You will need a grinder or food processor to breakdown the cheese. Big pieces of cheese will not adhere to the fries.
- If using breadcrumbs, don't mill ALL of the crumbs as you will loose texture/definition.
- You may need to work in batches if you have an air fryer with a small capacity
- Zucchini is known as courgettes in the UK and thick cuts are considered chips.
- Eat the fries immediately or cook them when you know you are about to consume them. They are best served straight away.
- If you cannot get hold of mixed herbs make 1/2 tbsp worth with thyme, majoram and parsley
Calories: 233kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 828mg | Potassium: 767mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 672IU | Vitamin C: 54mg | Calcium: 132mg | Iron: 1mg