The secret Caribbean creole food is in this Haitian epis - vegan, gluten free, paleo, keto
Prep Time 15 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Servings 1 Jar
- 1 cup of parsley chopped (leaves only)(30g)
- 2 bell peppers sliced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- 3 scallion sliced
- 1/3 cup of olive oil 100g
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 cloves
- 3 tbsp of apple cider vinegar or lime can use both
- 1-2 celery stalks optional
- 1 low/free in sodium msg free bouillon cube or 2tbsp of paste optional
- 1/4-1/2 scotch bonnet optional
Add all of the chopped ingredients to a food processor fitted with an S blade excluding the olive oil and lime/vinegar.
Proceed to pulse/breakdown the vegetables into smaller pieces.
Now slowly pour in the liquids - olive lime and/or vinegar
Continue to pulse until the mixture is almost liquid with some chunky bits like a pesto texture.
Pour into a large jar and refrigerate or freeze in ice cubes/small portions in pots
- If you cannot source escallion then use a very large leek instead
- Use a food processor if possible not a blender to reserve some of the texture. Epis shouldn't be too much of a liquid texture. If you do use a blender control the texture by adding the ingredients in stages to ensure it's not over pureed.
- If you don't want to use vinegar then lime works well. Anything acidity will help to preserve the sauce.
- Epis can last 1-2 months refrigerated but it is best to freeze some portions if you know you aren't going to be using it immediately/a regular basis. Freeze it in cube or small freezer friendly jars so you always have it near to fresh to hand.
- Celery stalk is included in the recipe but this is optional
- Any coloured bell peppers can be used but this may alter the colour of your epis.
- If you don't want to use olive oil because of calories use water instead
- Epis, epise and zepis is the same thing
- If adding bouillon cube/paste make sure it is low/free in sodium with no MSG and caters to any dietary requirements
- Only add scotch bonnet if you want some fiery heat, how much is up to you!!
Calories: 833kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 74g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Sodium: 66mg | Potassium: 1203mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 13150IU | Vitamin C: 417mg | Calcium: 208mg | Iron: 7mg