Creamy vegan mushroom soup
Creamy vegan mushroom soup is great to consume during those harsh winter months, its filling and low fat/carb and tasty too.
Servings 2 -4 servings
- 1 lb of mushrooms any variations will work!
- 3 garlic cloves chopped.
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 sprigs of thyme stem removed or 2 tsp of dried
- 1 tsp of black pepper
- 1 cup of vegetable stock see link in post
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- 2 tbsp of dairy free butter
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
Make sure to thoroughly wash the mushrooms via a colander to make sure all the debris has gone then set aside
Melt the coconut oil and dairy free butter over medium heat in a saucepan and saute the garlic and onions until transparent.
Incorporate the mushrooms with the garlic and onions, stir gently and cook the mushrooms for 5 minutes. The mushrooms will begin to shrink in volume as they start to cook during the given time.
Season with thyme, black pepper and pink salt to taste.
Pour in the vegetable stock and stir the entire contents, then finally pour in the coconut milk.
Bring the soup mixture to the boil then reduce and simmer for 5 minutes.
Puree the soup (in batches if necessary) in a blender until smooth.
Return the ready made soup to the pot if additional warmth is required.
Serve accordingly with optional gluten free bread or alone.
- You can use any mushroom to make the soup as long as it's edible so shitake, chestnut, portobello, crimini, wild mushrooms, porcini. oyster etc... are all suitable
- Make sure the mushroom are washed thoroughly - the lightly scrubbed them and rinsed them several times via a colander. It's not uncommon to find debris/dirt still on the mushrooms.
- The mushrooms will seem like A LOT especially then they have been sliced BUT.... keep in mind that they will wilt and reduce in volume so stick with the recommended amount for best results.
- Feel free to add some cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, spinach to bulk up the soup some more.
- Use a large saucepan, preferably non stick to saute as well as cook the mushrooms to limit clean up.
- Use an immersion stick blender, food processor or blender to puree the mushrooms into soup.
Calories: 620kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 55g | Saturated Fat: 38g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 2333mg | Potassium: 633mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 298IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 6mg