Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
Learn how to make your very own jerk seasoning dry rub from scratch. This homemade quintessential spice blend is inexpensive, aromatic and suitable for all your culinary needs.
- ½ tbsp pimento
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp ginger
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp chilli adjust the amount to suit
- ½ tbsp Himalayan pink salt or adjust the amount to suit
Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl.
Use a spoon to mix them together and combine.
Taste test the spice and adjust if required.
Pour the spice blend into a jar, label and store use accordingly.
- This recipe calls for coconut sugar which helps to balance put the spices. Raw organic Cane sugar is also a good nutritional alternative or you can use another low carb sweetener.
- This recipe makes about ½ cup worth of seasoning
- Use the amount of chilli according to your preference. If you can't tolerate heat, then leave it out.
- If you can source dried scotch bonnet to make the recipe more authentic use that instead.
- Pimento is known as allspice, you can get this spice from most Caribbean/Asian grocery stores.
- This spice blend has a shelf life of 1-2 years. You can extend the shelf life by storing in a pantry or somewhere dry away from direct sunlight in an air tight container.
Calories: 38kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 882mg | Potassium: 104mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 110IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 39mg | Iron: 1mg