Instant Pot Popcorn Recipe
Learn how to make instant pot popcorn in a matter of minutes for all the family - gluten free, vegan
Servings 4 -6 servings
- 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels 100g
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil or avocado
To make the cinnamon sweet and salted flavouring
- 1/4 cup of coconut sugar 50g
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp himalayan pink salt
Start by switching the instant pot on the select "saute" and adjust the heat level to "more".
Wait for the unit to indicate it's hot (see picture).
Add the coconut oil (or avocado oil) to the inner pot and wait for it to melt first.
Add the kernels to the pot, spread them out evenly so they don't overcrowd the surface.
Cover the pot with a glass lid and wait for the kernels to begin to pop (should take up to 2 minutes)
Allow the kernels to form as popcorn and wait until there's a 2-3 seconds between each pop before pressing "cancel"
Leave the unit for 1 minute just in case any stray popcorn pop ups before removing the lid
Sprinkle on the flavouring prior to serving
- To avoid the dreaded instant pot popcorn fail make sure the popcorn kernels aren't old, old kernels won't pop unless they are soaked in water for 15 minutes. To avoid disappointment use freshly purchased kernels.
- Use a glass lid that completely fits over the instant pot, it doesn't have to be the manufacturers for the recipe to work.
- Use a cooking oil with a high smoke oil - coconut oil or avocado oil.
- Make sure to use oil NOT BUTTER, if not you will end up with burnt kernels as well as a burnt inner pot.
- Ensure the unit is "hot" before adding the oil/kernels.
- The kernels should be evenly spread out to increase the likelihood of most kernels popping.
- Pop no more than 1/2 cup of kernels at a time. If you want to do more I suggest working in batches.
Calories: 170kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 166mg | Potassium: 56mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Iron: 1mg