Instant Pot Vegan Split Pea Soup
Vegan split pea soup is the perfect wholesome, filling and super tasty soup.
Servings 4 servings
- 1 ½ cup yellow split peas soaked overnight in water, if possible
- 1 large sweet potato or 2 medium
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 sprigs of thyme stems removed
- ¼ cup coriander/cilantro chopped (10g)
- ¼ cup parsley chopped (10g)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon pink salt
- 2 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
Switch on your instant pot and select "saute" and wait for the unit to display "hot" then add the olive oil.
Proceed to add/saute the onions and garlic until soft and translucent.
Add the red bell peppers and carrots and stir.Press "cancel" then continue to add the split peas, sweet potato, thyme, coriander (cilantro), parsley.
Pour in the vegetable stock and coconut milk.
Place the lid on and flick the knob to "sealing".
Set to pressure cooker on high and adjust the +/- to 20 minutes (the unit will take several minutes to come to pressure).
Once the cooking time is over allow the pressure to naturally release.
This will take 10-15 minutes then release the excess pressure by flicking the knob to "venting".
Remove the lid puree the soup using a blender or immersion stick blender.
- Feel free to use my Homemade Vegetable broth/stock.
- It's not crucial to soak the split peas overnight but I do recommended soaking them in bowl of warm water
- Feel free to use either green or yellow split peas, whichever one that is used won't impact the overall result.
- If you don't have fresh parsley, thyme or coriander (cilantro) simply use a dried version instead.
- For a chunky soup, only partially puree the soup with the immersion stick/blender. For a silky smooth soup completely puree the soup.
- The soup may become thicker as it cools down so you may need to add a splash of water to loosen up the soups texture.
Calories: 379kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Sodium: 1829mg | Potassium: 1454mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 10077IU | Vitamin C: 135mg | Calcium: 251mg | Iron: 9mg