Non Alcoholic Mulled Wine
Embrace the festive period with this delicious mulled wine that's alcohol free
Servings 4 servings
- 2 ¼ cups cranberry juice 500ml
- 2 ¼ cups red grape juice 500ml
- 1 cup of water 250ml
- 4 orange slices
- 3 lemon slices
- 3 Star anise
- 3 Cinnamon sticks
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- 10 Cloves
- 4 Cardamom pods
- Agave syrup to taste
- A squeeze of half an orange optional
Stove top version
Pour the cranberry juice, red grape and water into a medium sized saucepan on medium heat
Then add the slices of orange, lemon along with the spices - cardamom pods, star anise, cinnamon sticks, cloves and nutmeg.
Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low, cover the saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes.
During the time do a taste test to determine how much sweetness you desire.
After the given time remove the saucepan from the stove and leave to steep for another 15 minutes
Use a sieve/muslin cloth to strain the excess spices and fruit.
Squeeze half the orange over the ready made mulled wine if including then stir
Serve warm (re-heated strained if needed) in heat proof glasses
Instant Pot version
Add the orange, lemon slices along with the spices - star anise, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg and cloves to the stainless steel inner pot.
Pour in the grape juice, cranberry juice and water.Secure the lid and turn the knob to the "sealling" position.
Pressure cook on "high" for 5 minutes. Once finished allow the pressure to release for about 10 minutes then do a quick release afterwards.
Use a slotted spoon/small mesh strainer to remove the fruit slices and spices.
Stir in your sweetener to taste and squeeze in half an orange.
Serve warm or alternatively select the "keep warm" function to keep the mulled wine warm until ready to serve.
Slow Cooker version
Add all of the ingredients to your slow cooker.
Switch on the unit and select "low" and set for 60-90 minutes.
Use a slotted spoon/small mesh strainer to remove the fruit and spices.
Stir in the sweetener to taste and squeeze in the half an orange.
Once the drink is done, keep the crock pot in "keep warm" mode until you are ready to serve.
- Excluding the nutmeg, try to use whole spices, pods, sticks etc.. and not dried ones as you can control the flavours much better when they aren't in their dried form.
- You can use red grape juice by itself it's instead if you want to. I have tried this method and it works just fine.
- Use pure cranberry and red grape juice, double check the labels to make sure there's no excess ingredients because things like sweetener can impact the overall sweetness of the mulled wine.
- DON'T leave the mulled wine to steep overnight, the flavours will become unbalanced and one ingredient is likely to overpower the other.
- Remove the fruit slices and whole spices before serving, no one wants a mouthful of cloves or cardamom pods so be mindful of that.
- Make sure the mulled wine is only heated up NOT boiled and serve in heat proof glasses.
Calories: 153kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 11mg | Potassium: 411mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 33g | Vitamin A: 93IU | Vitamin C: 63mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 2mg