Jamaican Oats Porridge
Start your day with this satisfying and heart warming Jamaican Oats Porridge. Delicious super creamy vegan island style oatmeal made with cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, a plant based milk of your choice and sweetened with coconut condensed milk.
- 1 cup Oats (Rolled or Quick) use gluten free if you are sensitive to trace
- 2 ½ cups plant based milk coconut milk or almond milk
- ½ cup Water
- ⅛ tsp Cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- ⅛ tsp Pink salt
- Coconut condensed milk to taste
In a medium sized saucepan, add the water and plant based milk then bring to a boil.
Once boiled stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.
Reduce the heat to medium and pour the oats into the saucepan while continuously stirring so the oats are evenly combined and doesn't clump.
Allow the porridge to cook for 5-7 (rolled oats will take 10-15) minutes and stir frequently to avoid sticking. If the porridge thickens up too much during the given time add a splash of water
Finally, pour in your coconut condensed milk and pink salt and sweeten to taste
- If the porridge thickens once cooled, add a splash of water/milk to restore its original texture
- Feel free to use whenever plant based milk you prefer. I like rotating between coconut and almond milk.
- This recipe has a higher milk content but you are more than welcome to use half milk and half water
- For a creamy consistency I highly recommend using my Coconut Condensed Milk recipe.
- You can use coconut sugar, agave or maple syrup but the porridge won't be as creamy
- Use a non sticky saucepan to avoid excess sticking
- Once the oats are added to the pot, keep on stirring to avoid an uneven consistency.
- The time the oats take to cook will depend on which ones you are using quick oats take 5 minutes and old fashion oats take 10-15 minutes.
- If you are using old fashion oats you will most likely need to have 1-2 cups more of milk/water on standby to add if/when the porridge thickens up.
Calories: 204kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 557mg | Potassium: 147mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 396mg | Iron: 2mg