Vegan Chocolate Chip Pancakes
These chocolate chip pancakes are seriously decadent, delicious and packed with endless amount of chocolate. They are vegan, so egg free, dairy free, gluten free as they are made with oat flour, almond milk and sweet potato puree (no banana).
Servings 3 people
- 1¼ cup oat flour (150g) gluten free is sensitive to trace elements
- ⅓ cup cacao powder (28g)
- ½ cup sweet potato puree (140g) equals to ½ cup worth
- 1 cup almond milk with 1 tbsp vinegar (236ml)
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup (30g)
- 1 tsp baking powder (5g)
- ¼ tsp pink salt (1.2g)
- ⅓-½ cup vegan chocolate chips (60g) the amount is subjective, see the notes
For the topping
- melted vegan chocolate optional
To make the batter
Place the almond milk, sweet potato puree, oat flour, cacao, baking powder, maple syrup and pink salt into the blender.
Proceed to puree into a smooth consistency.
Transfer the batter into a medium sided jug or bowl then stir in the chocolate chips.
To make the batter
Heat a non stick crepe/tava on medium heat.
Coat a crepe pan with olive oil.
Pour or spoon some of the pancake batter onto the pan.
Cook for a few minutes until bubbles appear on the surface and the batter has set around the edges.
Carefully flip the pancake over to cook the other side and repeat the above steps with the rest of the batter.
Drizzle with melted chocolate to finish off (optional step)
- The pancake mix makes about 6 pancakes in total. However, this will vary with according to size.
- Oats/oat flour is naturally gluten free, however if you are sensitive to trace contact then buy certified gluten free oats/flour.
- The pancake batter may be more on the thick side, however, add a tablespoon at a time of almond milk to make it slightly thinner if required (you don't want the batter extremely thin)
- The chocolate chips will melt on the pan which can make flipping the pancakes potential messy, I found flipping them over quickly with an egg spatula helps.
- The more chocolate chips you use the more melted chocolate that will steep through to the pancake (making it more tasty, but this will make the pancakes more fragile).
- It's okay to use another creamy plant based milk like coconut milk or cashew milk.
- For best results, use a high powered blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec.
- Use a tava/crepe pan if possible for the pancakes.
Calories: 321kcal | Carbohydrates: 74g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 295mg | Potassium: 598mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 8968IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 145mg | Iron: 5mg