Jamaican Beef Soup (Low Carb)
This is a low carb, modern version of Jamaican beef soup. It's made with a medley of low carb vegetables - okra, carrots, cho cho and corn. No dumpling or root vegetables making it perfect for weight loss.
Servings 6 people
For the meat
- 2½ lb lean beef (1.13kg) if using other beef see the notes
- 3-4 tbsp beef seasoning (44g) see notes
For the soup
- 1-1½ lb pumpkin (680g) pureed
- 8 cups water (1.8 litres)
- 2 cups okra chopped, see notes to de-slime it first, optional
- 2 cho cho chayote, christophine, chopped
- 2-3 large carrots chopped and halved
- 5-6 corn cobs
- 10 pimento berries (allspice)
- 10 sprigs of thyme tied together
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 scallion whole
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 3-4 tbsp homemade soup mix (44g)see notes (use whole packet of cock / pumpkin soup mix if you're not using my homemade version)
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- pink salt, garlic granules and black pepper to taste
For the meat/pumpkin preparation
Place the was need in a medium sized bowl with the beef seasoning, coat and leave to infuse overnight or a few hours (this is an optional step, but recommended).
Also have the pumpkin ready by boiling it until tender then mashing (can use a fork or pulse a few times in the blender, you don't want it become liquid).
To make the soup
Pressure cook the meat first if you need to (see the notes).
Bring 8 cups of water to the boil.
Once boiled add the beef and allow to simmer on medium heat (covered for 45 minutes).
Add the mashed pumpkin and stir.
Add the cho cho, okra, corn, carrots, onion, scallion, garlic and soup mix pimento, thyme and scotch bonnet.
Allow to continue to simmer on low/medium heat, covered for 40-45 minutes or until the soup starts to thicken
If the soup isn't thick enough mix together 1tbsp of starch with 2tbsp of warm water and then stir it in.
Do a taste test and adjust for salt/garlic/black pepper if needed.
Remove the thyme stems and scotch bonnet before serving.
- You will need my Cock Soup Mix if you are gluten free/wheat free and also my Beef Seasoning for the meat.
- As per Caribbean custom the meat is already washed with lime/vinegar.
- Use lean beef, for less calories, high levels of protein and reduced cooking time.
- To rid the slime of the okra, parboil in 2tbsp vinegar with 1tsp pink salt then strain off the water.
- Because the soup doesn't include ground provisions (excluding the pumpkin) the texture of the soup won't be as thick, you may want to add starch as referenced to thicken some more.
- If you aren't using lean beef than I would recommend trimming off any fat and pressure cooking your choice of meat first of all.
- You can add additional LOW CARB vegetables if you want to.
- Make sure to do a taste test and adjust the salt etc.. levels if needed as this will vary depending on what ingredients are being used with sodium already in them.
- Make sure to use a stock pot that holds at least 4 quartz/3 litres to avoid over spill.
- Keep an eye on the scotch bonnet, and make sure it doesn't burst or it will make the soup spicy, it's okay to remove it before hand.
Calories: 403kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 46g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 117mg | Sodium: 174mg | Potassium: 1611mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 13676IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 229mg | Iron: 9mg