How to Make Aloe Vera Juice
Learn how to make your very own homemade aloe vera juice from scratch. It's such a simple recipe using only a small handful of ingredients with so many health benefits.
Servings 1 person
How to breakdown the extract
- a large aloe vera leaf organic, if possible
To make a drink
- 3 tablespoon aloe vera extract
- 1¼ cup liquid of your choice coconut water, spring water, pineapple juice, orange juice etc... (I used coconut water)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- agave nectar or maple syrup (to taste)
How to remove latex from aloe vera
Thoroughly wash the aloe vera leaf and then blot it dry with kitchen paper.
Lay the leaf on a chopping board then slice off the base of the leaf (it maybe light green or white in colour).
Stand the leaf upright (vertically) for 20 minutes during this time the yellow liquid should seep out (this is the aloe vera latex).
Rinse the leaf again, starting from the bottom, I do this for a few minutes just to give me peace of mind that all debris and impurities are completely removed.
To extract the gel from the leaf
Slice the aloe leaf into smaller sections about 2 inches is suffice.
Place the small portions of aloe into a bowl of water and allow to rest of 5 minutes.
Rinse and dry the small pieces of aloe with kitchen paper.
Trim off the prickly edges with a paring knife.
Slice off the top layer of skin to expose the gel.
Then use a spoon or paring knife to scoop out the gel then repeat the previous step with the remainder of the leaf.
Place all of the gel in a small bowl and rinse it off (one final time).
Place the gel in a blender and pulse into a smooth consistency.
Spoon the pureed aloe into an ice cube tray (you may need 2-3 trays) to store for longevity.
To make the juice
Place 3 tablespoons of aloe vera juice, liquid of your choice and lime juice in a blender.
Blitz until a smooth consistency is achieved.
.Sweeten to taste and serve immediately!
- Once you have scooped out the gel, if you don't want to puree/freeze the aloe, you can refrigerate it for 5-7 days but no longer.
- Drink only one glass of aloe vera infused drink per day.
- If you want to extend the shelf life of your aloe vera by up to a month then add vitamin C (¼ teaspoon for every ½ cup) when blended.
- 4 ice cubes are the equivalent to 3tbsp of aloe vera extract.
- Use a high speed blender like a Ninja, Blend Tec or Vitamix for smooth results/no straining needed.
- If any doubt or uncertainty buy the aloe leaf instead from a trusted source (ask questions about its originate etc.. if need be).
- Some people might be highly sensitive or allergic to aloe and not realise it, it might be best to do a very small taste test and wait 48 hours before consuming the whole drink.
- To reap the full benefits, make your drink when you know you are likely to drink it immediately.
Calories: 64kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 327mg | Potassium: 768mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 8IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 104mg | Iron: 1mg