Jamaican peanut porridge (Vegan)
Kick start the day with this delicious, hearty Jamaican porridge made from raw peanuts.
Servings 2 servings
- 1 cup of raw peanuts blanched or redskin
- ½ cup of ground oats gluten free if sensitive to trace
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or powder
- 1 ½ cups of coconut milk See above post for recipe
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 ½ cup of boiling water
- pinch of Himalayan pink salt.
- condensed coconut milk to taste See above post for recipe
Blend the peanuts in water on high speed until completely ground.
Pour the liquid into a saucepan along with the coconut milk and allow to boil then reduce to low heat
While stirring, add the ground oats in increments (don't add it all at once) until all of it is in the saucepan and combined
Once the peanut mixture starts to thicken stir in the vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
When everything has been incorporated, allow to simmer for a further 5-10 minutes, stirring throughout, if the porridge thickens up too much simply add a splash of water
Finally sweeten with sweetener of your choice to taste
- Make sure the oats are ground in advance, you can do so by using a grind/coffee grinder. Alternatively, you can purchase them in ground form.
- When adding the oats to the saucepan, do so in increments, don't add it all at once or you increase the risk of the porridge becoming lumpy.
- Don't add the ground oats to the water/peanut mixture in the first steps because they will create a thick paste that will be difficult to smooth out in the saucepan.
- You will need a high speed blender to breakdown the peanuts in water. If you don't then simply soak the nuts overnight in the water.
- Be very careful when adding the hot water to your food processor/blender
- Add the amount of condensed coconut milk to taste.
- If you want a low carb/zero sweetener use monkfruit, xylitol or stevia instead of the condensed milk
- If the porridge is too thick, add a splash or water, you may need to do so if you leave it to cool down overnight to eat the next day.
Calories: 384kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 54g | Saturated Fat: 30g | Sodium: 105mg | Potassium: 552mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 6mg