Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup
Don't miss out on this deliciously creamy pumpkin and sweet potato soup this fall.
Servings 4 servings
- 1 lb of butternut squash cut into large chunks (500g)(3 ½ cups in total)
- 3 medium sized sweet potatoes
- ½ tsp of ground coriander
- 1 medium onion chopped
- ¼ tsp chilli powder or flakes
- ½ cup coconut milk (120ml)
- 3 whole garlic cloves
- ½ tsp of nutmeg
- 5 sprigs of thyme (leaves removed) used 1 tsp of dried thyme
- 3 cups of vegetable stock (700ml) see notes for the link
- ½ tsp of black pepper
- 2 tbsp dairy free butter
- pink salt to taste
- olive oil for roasting
Preheat oven at 200c/400f/gas mark 6
Place the pumpkin and sweet potato on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, coated with oil and coat the top of the vegetables too.
Roast the vegetables for roughly 30-35 minutes or until golden turn.
Meanwhile, melt the dairy free butter then proceed to saute the onion and garlic until soft and translucent,
Add the stock, coconut milk then season with chilli, thyme, nutmeg, black pepper and ground coriander
Add the roasted vegetables to the saucepan then use either a hand whisk (or blender) to puree the soup into a smooth consistency
add salt to taste.
- Don't forget to use my homemade vegetable stock recipe
- You can use any type of squash to make this recipe. Pumpkin is seasonal so if you wish to make this soup all time of year then use butternut squash instead.
- While the vegetables are being roasted focus on sauteing the onion and garlic, then add the stock, seasoning ans coconut milk to save sometime
- This soup can keep for up to 4 days refrigerated
- Freeze any leftover soup in an airtight container for up to 3 months. When ready to eat simply thaw out overnight in the refrigerator then heat up.
- Make sure to roast the vegetables. This is so crucial if you want the vegetables to impart a deep flavour a long with their natural occurring sugars .
- You can make this recipe using an instant pot or stove top, you will need a immersion stick or high speed blender to puree the your soup.
- Don't skip the coconut milk, this yields a nice creamy texture, if you don't have coconut milk use vegan yoghurt instead.
Calories: 329kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 854mg | Potassium: 1082mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 36477IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 121mg | Iron: 3mg