Boiled Plantains with Kale
Delicious sweet boiled plantains with curly - Paleo, gluten free, vegan
Servings 2 servings
- 1-2 large plantains yellow with dark spots
- 1 cup worth of bell pepper red and yellow mixed
- 2 large scallions sliced (or 3 small ones)
- 2 fresh tomatoes chopped
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- ¼ tsp of allspice
- 1 tsp of thyme
- ¼ tsp of himalayan pink salt
- large bunch of kale chopped
- 1 tbsp worth of ginger minced
- 1 small red onion chopped
- coconut oil for sauteeing
Boil the plantain for roughly 15 minutes until tender. Once cooked drain off the excess water and allow to cool then cut the tips of the plantain and use a paring knife to make a incision length ways to remove the peel, it should come off with ease, then slice the plantain into little discs.
Meanwhile on medium heat sautee the scallions/red onions to begin with in about 2tbsp of coconut oil for 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes, bell peppers and add the rest of the spices.
Flip the pan to ensure everything is thoroughly coated before incorporating the sliced plantains and allow to infuse with the spices. The kale should be added lastly to cook for another minute and combine with the rest of the ingredients.
- Plantains are available at most Asian/Caribbean and latin grocery stores
- Don't over boil the plantain or you run the risk of it turning to mash, you want them to soft with some firmess to them.
- Feel free to add additional vegetables i.e cho cho, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots etc...
Calories: 224kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 321mg | Potassium: 1198mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 7880IU | Vitamin C: 177mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 3mg