Quinoa Pudding (Dairy free)
Bored of rice or tapioca pudding then try this quinoa pudding. The perfect grain free, plant based dessert and breakfast in one.
Servings 4 servings
- 4 cups of coconut milk
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp of vanilla powder or extract
- ¼ tsp pink salt
- sweetener of your choice coconut sugar, agave, monkfruit etc...
Leave the quinoa to soak in some water for about 5 minutes before rinsing off the water using a fine mesh strainer.
Add the coconut milk in a medium sized saucepan, along with the cinnamon stick, quinoa and give everything a stir.
Bring the milk to a boil, reduce the heat to low to simmer (uncovered).
Simmer until the quinoa starts to thicken, stirring occasionally so it doesn't stick until most of the liquid is absorbed. This should take about 25-30 minutes, add a splash of water or milk if the pudding is too thick.
Stir in the sweetener of your choice, vanilla and pink salt.
Serve hot and cold
- Make sure to thoroughly rinse off the quinoa. I used a fine mesh strainer so the quinoa doesn't fall through. For best results, leave the quinoa to sit in water for 5-10 minutes to remove debris and any bitterness.
- For a creamy/rich quinoa pudding I used coconut milk but you are more than welcome to use another plant based milk i.e almond, cashew etc...
- In terms of sweetener you can use granulated i.e coconut sugar or liquid like agave nectar, maple syrup.
- Keep an eye on the quinoa as it cooks and stir it occasionally throughout given time to ensure it doesn't stick or dry out (add more milk if required).
- If you are looking for a low/zero calorie sweetener use stevia, monkfruit, erythritol
- Refrigerate any leftover for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Calories: 404kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 41g | Saturated Fat: 33g | Sodium: 177mg | Potassium: 736mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 9mg