Vegan Pineapple Fried Rice
Pineapple fried rice is a vegan style dish made with brown rice for nutritional density. Along with a combination of vegetables, herbs, spices and some papaya to yield a sweet edge. A meal that comes together in just 30 minutes.
Servings 4 servings
- 3 cups brown rice cooked and chiiled (570g)
- 1 large papaya peeled and cubed
- 8 oz can of 100% pineapple chunks only strain the juice (227g)
- ½ cup of garden peas organic and local if possible (73g)
- 1 cup of mixed bell peppers sliced (150g)
- 1 medium sized onion chopped
- 3 small scallion chopped
- 1 tbsp of coconut aminos (or use organic soy)(15g)
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp of turmeric (5g)
- 1 tsp of fresh ginger minced (5g)
- ½ tsp of white pepper (3g)
- 1 ½ tsp of sesame seed oil (8g)
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil or olive oil (30g)
- 1 tsp of thyme dried (5g)
- himalayan pink salt to taste
Heat a large wok or heavy duty frying pan over medium heat for 30 seconds before proceeding to melt the coconut oil while rotating the pan.
Add the turmeric first to release the flavour before adding in the onion, scallion, garlic and ginger. Saute until the onions are soft, this should take roughly one minute to achieve.
Meanwhile pour in the bell peppers and garden peas, fold them into the sauteed onion mixture. Stir occasionally until the veggies are soft in texture.
Now add the pineapple and papaya to the wok along with the cold rice. Combine, coat and stir the entire contents as it slowly begins to take on a yellow hue from the turmeric.
Drizzle the coconut aminos and sesame oil into the wok and flip once or twice.
Then season with thyme, white pepper, pink salt before stir thoroughly to deepen the flavour.
Serve accordingly and add more seasoning if required.
- If you suffer from bloating or any other gastrointestinal difficulties then you will need to soak the rice in lime water (2 tbsp) overnight as this will ease digestibility.
- Don't forget to check out my guide on How to Fix Rice should you experience any problems.
- Refrigerate any leftovers and eat within 2 days or freeze for up to a month.
- It's okay to complete this dish with vegan protein i.e Tofu Scramble, legumes or any type of mock meat.
- Cook the rice ahead of time, this is important to allow the rice grains to be cold enough to have rid the rice of any moisture (the texture of soft rice, won't work) I prefer to do this overnight where possible but my FAQ section covers a fast track method.
- You can use a whole fresh pineapple if you want to or use a large can of pineapple. Be sure to strain off the juice and use it in this Pineapple Punch.
- Feel free to add or switch up the ingredients to suit your taste buds or what is available to hand.
Calories: 491kcal | Carbohydrates: 142g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 366mg | Potassium: 854mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 24g | Vitamin A: 2190IU | Vitamin C: 116mg | Calcium: 102mg | Iron: 4mg