Homemade Vegan Cheddar Cheese
Learn to make your very own vegan cheddar cheese that's firm and slicable from scratch
Servings 4 servings
- 1 ½ cups almond milk
- ½ cup of water
- 3 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp of agar agar powder (or carrageenan kappa)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp himalyan pink salt
- a dash of turmeric optional
Spray or lightly grease a cheese mould and set aside
Combine the water and the almond milk in a medium sized saucepan and bring to the boil
Once boiled, add the rest of the ingredients and proceed to stir
Reduce the heat to medium/low and continue to stir for 5 minutes until everything is combine and slightly thickened
Pour the liquid into a mould and allow to completely cool (this can take 1-2 hours) uncovered
During the given time the cheese will begin to set.
Once cool, wrap the top with foil/saran/cling film and transfer to the refrigerator and leave to completely set (this will take a few hours but I like to leave it overnight)
- Don't skip any of these ingredients as this is what makes the recipe work.
- DON'T use agar agar FLAKES, it isn't as strong as the powder and is likely NOT to set your cheese.
- If you don't have a cheese mould use a small clear pyrex dish or ramekin roughly 5 inches x 2 inches (12 cm x 5 cm)
- If you are using a pyrex you may need to run the knife around the perimeter to ease the cheese out.
- The texture of your cheese may have a slightly jello type of feel to it, this is normal, remember this is alternative cheese.
- Your cheese will be softer then conventional cheese but firm enough to pick it up and use against a box grater.
- PLEASE PLEASE keep in mind this cheese DOESN'T NOT MELT. Make sure you are aware of this as I do not want to mislead you. It's up to you to read the recipe post and notes/tips first and then decide if this recipe is for you!
- To extend the life of the cheese, store in the freezer for up to 3 months
- Keep the cheese chilled at all times and use within 5 days.
- Allow to thaw out (doesn't make very long) and use accordingly.
Calories: 113kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 294mg | Potassium: 170mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 13IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 1mg