Cornmeal Cou Cou (Trinidadian Style)
Vegan, gluten free, dairy free cornmeal with okra- so delicious and perfect with fish
Servings 2 servings
- 1 cup cornmeal fine and non GMO
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp of dairy free butter
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- ½ cup of warm water
- 1 small onion diced
- 8 okras sliced finely
- 2 tbsp of pimiento peppers or 2tbsp of sweet red peppers
- salt to taste
Boil the coconut milk and then reduce to a low heat.
Add the finely sliced okra and leave to simmer until tender, this should take 5-7 minutes, given the size of the sliced okra.
Half way through tenderising the okra add the onion, butter, garlic and peppers, stir then continue to simmer for another 5 minutes.
Remove the liquid mixture from the heat, and begin to add some of the cornmeal while stirring rapidly. Tip - the quicker you stir the less likelihood of lumps forming.
Return the pot to the stove, again adding the cornmeal in segments while stirring and folding until everything is incorporated into the pot.
If the mixture is too dense add the water, slowly to determine your desired texture.
Continue to cook for another 5 minutes until the liquid is absorbed and the mixture is firm. Fine cornmeal cook relatively quickly compared to the course kind.
Season with salt according to taste
- The fine cornmeal is known as "cornflour" in the states.
- DO NOT use "cornstarch" to make this recipe. It won't work.
- Feel free to include other vegetables in this recipe if you want to.
- Fine cornmeal cooks quicker, if you use coarse cornmeal the recipe will take longer to cook and you will need to adjust liquid levels.
- Use red bell peppers if you cannot obtain pimiento peppers
- Make sure to stir constantly until the cou cou thickens to avoid lumps
Calories: 391kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 44g | Saturated Fat: 33g | Sodium: 273mg | Potassium: 989mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 621IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 98mg | Iron: 10mg