Instant Pot Black Rice Pudding
Gluten free, vegan and dairy free rice pudding that's rich and delicious
Servings 2 servings
- 1 cup of black rice (185g)
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk (2 approximately 2 cups)(400ml)
- 2 cups of water (400ml)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract/powder or scrapped pod
- 1 ½ tsp cardamom
- ¼ tsp himalayan pink salt
- condensed coconut milk or to taste
Soak the rice grains overnight or for several hours to soften, this step is optional so skip if needed.
Switch on your instant pot and add the water, coconut milk and black rice.
Select and adjust the +/- button to 20 minutes.
Place the lid on and flick the valve to "sealing" and let the unit come to pressure .
When the pressure cooking has finished allow to natural release (should take roughly 10 minutes) then turn the knob to "venting" to release any excess pressure.
Remove the lid and stir in the desired amount of sweetener (pudding will thicken more as it cools down), add the vanilla, cardamom and sweeten with condensed milk to taste.
Once cooked serve accordingly.
- Cardamom black rice pudding can be eaten for breakfast or after dinner, there's no set rule so don't be swayed by the name.
- Refrigerate any leftovers and consume with 2-3 days.
- Feel free to add other spice you may like i.e nutmeg, cinnamon, star anise, caraway
- Here is the recipe to make your own Coconut Condensed Milk for the pudding.
- You can use another plant based milk like Cashew or Almond instead, if you want to.
Calories: 344kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 23mg | Potassium: 260mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 3mg