Jamaican Rice Porridge (vegan)
Delicious Jamaican rice porridge - Gluten free, dairy free, vegan
Servings 2 servings
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 1 jar of coconut condensed milk see post for recipe link
- 3 ½ cups of water
- 1 ¾ cups of almond milk
- ¼ cup of coconut milk optional can use just one plant based milk
- 1 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- ¼ of himalayan pink salt
Presoak the brown rice grains in lukewarm water mixed with 1 tablespoon of lime. Leave this for a few hours or preferably overnight to soften. This is an OPTIONAL step!!
Drain off the lime water and rinse the grains several times.
Pour the rinsed off rice grains into a large saucepan with 3 ½ cups of water and bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat to a simmer for 25 minutes (approx) with the pot covered.
During this time the water level will reduce so check periodically as you don't want the liquid to completely recede. You only need ¼ worth of liquid leftover which should happen 20 minutes into the cooking time.
After 25 minutes finally stir in the milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and salt.
Carefully pour in the coconut condensed milk and sweeten according to taste.
Lastly, allow the porridge to simmer for a further 10-15 minutes, stir occasionally so the rice doesn't stick to the bottom of the saucepan.
- Presoak the rice grains in warm water - a few hours or preferably overnight add 1tbsp of lime to remove the starch and ease digestion (this is an optional step)
- Use any plant based milk you want to Coconut Milk, Almond, Cashew etc...
- The porridge should be soft but slightly nutty in texture
- Aim to cook the rice for quite some time 25 minutes (approx)
- Be careful not to over saturate the rice with liquid. If the liquid levels seem low add a ¼ cup at a time. Remember the finishing product should look similar to risotto.
Calories: 445kcal | Carbohydrates: 76g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 314mg | Potassium: 317mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 322mg | Iron: 3mg