Carrot and Red Lentil Soup
Vegan, gluten free, dairy free soup, so delicious!
Servings 4 servings
- ¾ cup of red lentils rinsed
- 3-4 medium sized carrots sliced and peeled (equal to 3 cups worth, heaping)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- A medium onion chopped
- 4 ½ cups of vegetable stock (1 litre) see post of recipe link
- ⅓ cup of almond milk
- ⅛ tsp of chilli flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- coconut oil/olive oil 2 tbsp
Melt the coconut oil in a small frying pan and proceed to sautee the onion until translucent then set aside.
Add the lentils, carrots, vegetable stock and almond milk to a large saucepan and bring to a rolling boil.
Reduce the heat to low-medium, stir and season with salt, pepper, ground coriander and chilli.
Stir once more time before covering the saucepan with the lid then simmer for 20 minutes. During that time the carrots and legume will start to break down and soften.
Remove the pan from the stove.
If using a high speed blender, carefully and very slowly pour the ingredients into the blender. Be mindful of any hot splash back. Work in batches if required and puree into a smooth consistency.
For an immersion blender, you can puree everything by hand in the same cooking pan.
- Suitable for vegans and gluten free lifestyles.
- This is a freezer friendly recipe.
- Cook the soup in a heavy bottom pan. It will hep to distibute the heat more evenly and you are less likely to get hot spots which can burn the soup.
- You can use an immersion blender or stand blender to blend the soup. If you use a stand blender, blend it in batches and be careful as it will be very hot.
- Blend the soup to your taste. When I made this soup, I pureed everything into a smooth consistency but you can pulse - stop and start if you like yours chunky.
- Before serving the soup, season it to your taste. Due to the generous use of stock, I didn't measure the amount salt and pepper I used, I added what I needed accordingly to my preference so please feel free to do the same.
Calories: 183kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 137mg | Potassium: 509mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 7675IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 3mg