Cajun Shrimp with Zucchini Zoodles
Are you on the hunt for a low carb, grain free recipe? Then try this Cajun inspired shrimp with zucchini noodles. A delicious, flavoursome one pan seafood meal that's loaded with a medley of vegetables, so light and nutritious.
Servings 4 servings
- 2 cups of raw shrimp tightly packed
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- Carrot julienned
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 zucchinis peeled and spiralised
- 1 tbsp of Cajun seasoning see post for recipe
- 1 tomato sliced into quarters
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- extra Cajun seasoning
- ¼ tbsp of warm water
Place the shrimp in a bowl, apply the dry rub to the shrimp and set aside
On medium heat add the oil in a large skillet/fry pan and proceed to saute the onions and garlic until soft and translucent.
Add the bell peppers, carrots and tomatoes and a splash (about ¼ cup) of warm water. This will help to soften the vegetables. Covered the skillet with a lid and slightly steamed for 5 minutes. Skip adding the water and move onto the next step if you want your vegetables crunchy.
Toss in the shrimp and proceed to shake and rotate the pan so that the shrimp are exposed to the heat at the bottom of pan so they can cook thorough
After roughly one minute as the shrimp begin to turn from grey to slightly pink, add the zoodles. Fold them so that the shrimp and veggies are combined with the zoodles and heat through
Sprinkle in more seasoning if you want more heat
Remove pan from stove and serve accordingly.
- If zucchini aren't in season. Use spiralized carrots, beets (beetroot) or cabbage instead.
- Zucchini is also known as courgette.
- The heat level for this recipe is HOT. If you don't care of spiciness then reduce the amount of seasoning that is used by half.
- Use raw shrimp. It's always advisable where possible to use raw shrimp as opposed to cooked shrimp because they need a few minutes to cook (they turn pink when cooked) making it less inclined for the texture to become rubbery.
- Use my Homemade Cajun Seasoning. This homemade seasoning is recommended and fiery
- Add additional vegetables if you want to. You could add carrots, leeks, celery, broccoli, peas. The list is endless!!
- You do not need to apply the dry rub overnight, its okay to sprinkle it on right before cooking.
- If you want a VERY spicy shrimp dish then add more seasoning while cooking.
- DO NOT add the shrimp first especially if you are using cooked shrimp ALWAYS add them towards the end to retain their texture.
- Serve immediately and if possible do not reheat the shrimp in fear of a texture change.
Calories: 259kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 255mg | Sodium: 1240mg | Potassium: 769mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2895IU | Vitamin C: 94mg | Calcium: 183mg | Iron: 4mg