Delicious meat free curried jackfruit recipe
Servings 4 servings
- 1-2 can of jack fruit drained and cut into chunks
- 1 large red skin caribbean sweet potato or use two small ones, peel and chopped
- a handful of whole okra
- ½ tbsp of curry powder see post
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger peeled and minced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 large scallion chopped
- 2 pimento berries or ¼ tsp of ground allspice
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 1 small can of tomato
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk
- 2 tsp of parsley
- 1 scotch bonnet
- 2 tsp of coconut sugar optional
- 1 bay leaf
- himalayan pink salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
Melt the coconut oil in a skillet on medium heat. Then proceed to sautee the onion, garlic and scallion until they soften and the white onion is translucent.
Stir in the curry powder, pimento berries, thyme and bay leaf. Move the pan in a back and fourth motion so the bay leaf and berries are exposed to the bottom of the pan so they can release their flavour.
Pour in the chopped tomato and carefully fold in the jack fruit, sweet potato and okra into the curry mixture so all the ingredients are fragrant.
Season parsley along with the desired amount of pink salt and pepper. I used roughly 1 tsp of each.
Finally add the coconut milk and scotch bonnet.
Bring the pan to a rolling boil before reducing to a simmer with the lid on for 15 minutes until the sauce from the curry thickens.
- Make sure to buy "young" jackfruit. It should state what it is on the can.
- Jackfruit is a vegan friendly meat substitute and gluten free and paleo approved.
- You can make this recipe with another meat substitute such as tofu if you wish
- I used the my homemade Jamaican Curry Powder to make this recipe with
- If you cannot find scotch bonnet use a fresh chilli, or jalapeno (uncut)
- Pimento berries is also known as allspice
- You can buy jackfruit from most Asian/Caribbean supermarkets.
- Use orange sweet potatoes to substitute Caribbean sweet potato if you cannot source it.
Calories: 223kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 115mg | Potassium: 416mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 4889IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 103mg | Iron: 2mg