Sea Moss Drink (Irish Moss Drink)
Learn how to make this modified version of Jamaican sea moss drink aka Irish moss drink - vegan style.
Servings 8 servings
To make the sea moss gel
- 100 g of Jamaican Irish moss/sea moss 3.5oz
- 6 cups warm water to soak the moss
- 2 tbsp of linseed flaxseed (optional)
To make a single drink
- 1 cup Almond milk can use coconut milk
- Coconut condensed milk optional to taste
- ¼ cup of Sweetener - coconut nectar agave nectar, maple syrup
- ⅛ tsp Nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp of Vanilla
Place the sea moss in a colander.
Use your hands to thoroughly wash any debris and excess sea salt from your moss. Do this several times until the sea moss looks and feels less gritty.
Place the sea moss and flaxseed in a large size bowl with the 6 cups of warm water and leave to soak overnight. The moss will expand in size and the water should thicken slightly
Use a colander to pour and drain off the excess water that was used to soak the sea moss
Place the sea moss into a blender bowl and puree into a gel. The sea moss should be gelatinous in texture (You may need to add some water to your blender to help break it down).
Scoop out the gel and transfer into a jar/bowl and refrigerate.
To make one drink only
Add 4tbsp to ⅓ cup of the sea moss paste along with the almond milk, vanilla, spices, sweetener of your choice into a high speed blender
Blend into a smooth consistency - add any extra i.e rum, stout, oats etc.. now if required
- Some people refrigerate their moss gel for up to 4 weeks. I recommend storing it for 3-4 days for maximum potency.
- For longevity freeze the gel into small ice cubes.
- DO NOT USE powdered or flaked sea moss, this form of moss is refined as has loss it's nutritional value.
- You can also use this recipe to make the sea moss gel only for additional purposes
- To make a single glass of this drink use ⅓ cup of moss instead soaked in 2-3 cups of water and follow the rest of the instructions.
- Make sure the sea moss you are using is "Wildcrafted" or "Wild Harvested".
- If you are facing any difficultly pureeing your sea moss into gel, add a splash of water. I own a high speed blender (vitamix) which makes a huge difference.
- It is normal for the moss gel to thicken up as it is refrigerated.
- If the actual drink is too thick, add a splash of almond milk
Calories: 46kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 80mg | Potassium: 31mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 15IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 1mg