Jamaican Curry Shrimp
Learn how to make this quick and easy Jamaican curry shrimp from scratch
Servings 3 people
- 1 lb extra large raw shrimp (devained and washed) (450g)
- 1 tbsp of curry powder heaped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp of all purpose seasoning see post
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 5 sprigs of thyme
- 2 large scallion chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 cup of hot water
- himalayan pink salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 whole scotch bonnet
On medium heat, melt some coconut oil in a medium sized dutch pot and proceed to saute the onion, scallion and garlic until soft and translucent.
Stir in the tomato paste, sprigs of thyme and continue to cook for another minute before pouring the hot water in first followed by the coconut milk
Bring to the boil then add your curry powder, all purpose seasoning, paprika and scotch bonnet.
Reduce the flame to low and simmer for 10 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken
Finally add your shrimp and coat with the sauce and cook for 5 minutes until they turn completely pink. If using cooked shrimp, coat and heat through for 3 minutes maximum.
Add the desired amount of pink salt/black pepper according to taste.
Do a taste test and add more seasoning/curry if required then serve accordingly
- Make sure the shrimp you are using is RAW and NOT cooked for the texture will be rubbery if overcooked
- The shrimp should be de-vained and cleaned before being prepared.
- Be sure to let the sauce cook down first before adding the shrimp. Don't rush this step because you want the flavours to come through
- You can add black pepper if you want but I tend to omit this by choice
- 380g of shrimp is roughly two cups in total
- You can double the batch if you are making this dish for more than 2 people
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 283kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Sodium: 92mg | Potassium: 529mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 696IU | Vitamin C: 22mg | Calcium: 112mg | Iron: 6mg