Jamaican Curry Powder
Learn how to make the best Jamaican curry powder from scratch
Servings 1 - 2 cups
- 3 tbsp of turmeric ground
- 1 tbsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp of coriander seeds
- 2 ½ tsp of fenugreek seeds
- 2 ½ tsp of black mustard seeds
- 2 tsp of ginger ground
- 2 tsp of whole pimento berries all spice
- 1 tsp of thyme dried
- 1 tsp of black peppercorn
- 1 tsp of nutmeg ground
- ¼ tsp of cinnamon ground
- ½ tsp of chilli or scotch bonnet powder
- ¼ tsp of garlic granules
Place the whole spices in a skillet on medium heat and toast the spices for 2 minutes, stirring and tossing the pan until they release their aroma.
Allow the spices to cool before combining the ground and whole spices together in a grinder.
Pulverise the spices into a ground blend.
Store in a clear container, in a dry place for several months
- Store in a cool/dark place. Spice blends are very potent when made from scratch and in order to lock in that freshness please store away from direct sunlight. Away from heat and moisture too.
- You can definitely play around with the spices if you have a preferred spice that you like more than another. i.e. more chilli, reduce the coriander etc..
- Only make what you need. Don't go overboard and make large batches if you don't plan of make plenty of Caribbean/Jamaican cuisines.
- As a general rule of thumb, use within 6 months to a year of preparation.
- Toast the whole spices. If you're using whole spices then you should toast them before putting them to grind. Toasting helps to really bring out that depth of flavour to no end.
- DO NOT over toast the spices as this will lead to bitter tasting curry powder, once the aroma is released immediately remove it from the stove.
- Grinding the spices. Pulverise your spices in a coffee/spice grinder. If you don't have one feel free to use a mortar and pestle.
Calories: 80kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 48mg | Potassium: 757mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 607IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 187mg | Iron: 18mg