Jamaican Banana Fritters
These island style fritters are so fluffy and crispy. They make the perfect Caribbean appetizer!!
Servings 6 servings
- 3 large overripe bananas or 5 medium bananas
- 1 ½ cups of Gluten free flour
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp of nutmeg
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- ⅓ cup of coconut sugar or raw organic cane sugar (the amount will depend on the ripenes) optional
- ¼ tsp himalayan pink salt
- ** ¼ cup of coconut oil
Peel each of the bananas, slice and add them to a bowl.
Use a potato masher or blender to breakdown the bananas until they become a pureed consistency.
Then add the spices, gluten free flour, pink salt, vanilla and coconut sugar/cane
Mix into a smooth consistency with a whisk
Melt a ¼ cup of coconut oil in a non stick frying pan on medium heat.
Spoon some of the batter into the frying pan and fill the pan with spoons of batter (don't overcrowd)
Cook each side until golden and turn over and cook the other side.
Repeat with the rest of the batter, add more oil if needed
- Alternatively to banana. Feel free to use plantains if you don't have any bananas to hand.
- Overripe bananas. Ideally you want to use bananas that are overripe for this recipe. Bananas where the skin is more black than yellow. This is because overripe bananas are naturally sweet so this lessens the chance of having to add too much sweetener.
- You can omit using any sweetener if you want to focus getting natural occurring sugars.
- Mash the bananas. Use either a potato masher or blender to breakdown the bananas into a more pureed consistency. This will form the foundation for the banana fritter batter.
- Oil usage. In order to use as little oil as possible use a very durable non stick skillet.
- As the batter cooks it will spread slightly before it turns golden. Use a egg lifter to flip the fritter over the other side and repeat.
Calories: 259kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 115mg | Potassium: 211mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 38IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 1mg