Learn how to make some sweet sorrel jam using only 3 ingredients, yes that's right! It's so delicious and you can use it alone or use in a specific recipe. The choice is yours!!
Servings 1 jar
- 2 cups left over sorrel pulp (100g), heaped
- 2 cups sorrel drink (475ml) you may need more so have some on standby
- 1 ⅓ cups sweetener of your choice (266g) I used half maple syrup/coconut sugar
Place the leftover pulp in a high speed blender or use a food processor.
Add the sorrel drink a little at a time until a very smooth paste formed (make sure it's NOT TOO THIN)..
Pour the sorrel paste into a saucepan on medium heat add your sweetener and stir.
Simmer your sorrel on medium-low heat stirring frequently for about 20 minutes (it should thicken even more as it cools down).
Leave to cool then transfer into a mason jar.
- The sorrel pulp is quite tough so a sturdy blender like a vitamix or ninja is ideal or a very powerful food processor.
- When simmering the sorrel paste, you may want to use more/less sweetener so do a taste test as you go along.
- Keep your jam refrigerated at all times, it should last several days.
- You may have to breakdown the sorrel pulp in batches.
- You want the texture of sorrel paste to be smooth and not too thick nor too thin.
- Use leftover sorrel drink to make the jam as this will re-introduce the flavour. I didn't need to add any spices to my pulp.
- Make sure to remove any cloves, cinnamon, pimento or orange peel before starting the recipe.
- This recipe makes a full mason jar's worth of jam.
- Use what sweetener you want I used a mixture half coconut sugar/maple syrup.
Calories: 148kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 55mg | Potassium: 169mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 396g | Vitamin A: 450IU | Vitamin C: 96mg | Calcium: 768mg | Iron: 6mg