Hey! I'm Charla, the brains behind That Girl Cooks Healthy. I'm a certified Health Coach with a background in catering and hospitality. The photographer and recipe creator mixed with an element of quirkyness too!
More about me
I grew up in a typical Caribbean household filled with women who loved to cook traditional island recipes.
Being exposed to good food from such a young age meant it was inevitable that I would have passion for cooking. It wasn't until I got older that decided to channel my energy even more.
I love anything to do with food, fitness and health. Yup! Shout out to all the geeks out there. I see you! A few years ago I graduated with a degree in Public Health where I qualified as a Health Coach.
When I'm not whipped up exciting recipes or working the hospitality and catering industry, I like to travel, workout, read, spend time with loved ones and catch up on worldly affairs/documentaries/movies.
How that girl cooks healthy came about
My website came about after conversing with a few co-workers and people who I knew on a personal level about cooking from scratch. Growing up in a traditional household it was customary for young girls to know how to prepare wholesome meals.
Speaking with lots of people, both men and women, it quickly became apparent that many people don't have a clue how to make recipes from scratch.
Being Caribbean, I wanted to showcase recipes from my culture i.e Brown Stew Chicken , traditional as well as modern alternatives to some of my favourite recipes for example how to totally veganize Cornmeal Porridge that I ate as a little girl.
Having a disciple in health education/catering I wanted to showcase healthier options and ways for people to take control of their well-being. As I always say "you are what you eat" it's up to you to take control of what you consume, so let me be here to guide you along the way through my Recipe Index
The site itself started out quite broad but a few months after being diagnosed with IBS one of my triggers was consuming excessive amounts of dairy. Thankfully I managed my symptoms by reducing the amount of dairy I had on a daily basis.
After posting a few dairy free recipes i.e Cashew Milk I had a few people reach out to me specifically looking for dairy and gluten free recipes. I had a bit of a light bulb moment so I tapped into both dairy and gluten free cooking. A good example of this is my vegan style Mac and Cheese .
My recipes have been featured on Blavity, Parade Magazine, Black Foodie, Country Living, Cosmopolitan, Women's Health Mag, Buzzfeed, Today, Mashed, Delish and the Healthy Aperture just to name a few. Go check 'em out too!!
What I Can Offer you
- Step by step process shots of how I make most of my recipes
- Notes and tips on how to make each recipe perfect the first time around (check my most recent posts for more in depth information)
- Recipes that are free the gluten/wheat/dairy free.
- Healthier alternatives to some of your favourite Caribbean (not just Jamaican, other islands too) along with other worldly recipes. Don't forget to check the My Caribbean Foodie 101 post where you can learn about about my cooking venture from a wheat/dairy free perspective.
- Resolve any issues by email or through the comments section
What you won't find
- Ready made or premade mixes. Of course there are exceptions to the rule but i.e some gluten free flour is an example. I do endeavour to make most things i.e All Purpose Seasoning from scratch and use raw ingredients where possible.
- No alcohol - I don't drink so I wouldn't feel comfortable promoting alcoholic food or drinks. I offer alternative such a alcohol free wine, fruit juice .i.e grape juice or rum essence.
- No pork! This may change in the future if I am met with popular request or some recipes testers, so far it's a no because I don't eat it!
Work with me/contact details
Would you be interested me working with me? If you think I would a perfect fit for your brand or would be collaborate with me. Contact me via email here - thatgirlcook[email protected]